Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up outgoing mail server on iOS 12 mail?

I read this article: Mail server settings for iCloud email clients

at: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

After following the outlined steps, in Settings (setting up a new email account), I am getting the message "Cannot Send Mail -- The user name or password for smtp.mail.me.com is incorrect." (I also tried smtp.mail.com, with the same result.)

I'm using my Apple ID and password -- what I use to log on here. This is on my iPhone 7, running iOS 12, in Settings ("New Account") for type 'other'. The incoming mail setup seems to work fine and I can get the same mail messages that I see via my computer's Mail app. But when I try to set up the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER (in Settings) on my phone, I get this error.

What am I missing?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 3:15 PM

Thanks, but that article (series of steps) is actually where I started. Many, many 'helpful' web jumps further I figured out that I (apparently) cannot use 'smtp.mac.com' as an outgoing server when the type of email account is 'Other'. I switched the new mail account to use our home's cable (internet) account info and now that email is working.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, but that article (series of steps) is actually where I started. Many, many 'helpful' web jumps further I figured out that I (apparently) cannot use 'smtp.mac.com' as an outgoing server when the type of email account is 'Other'. I switched the new mail account to use our home's cable (internet) account info and now that email is working.

Dec 25, 2018 3:33 PM in response to Eric Root

I don't know what that means in this case. (???)

To be clear, already I have an email account that is an iCloud account. It is set up and working just fine.

This additional one is an email account that is on a web domain that is registered to me, hosted somewhere that has nothing to do with Apple. That wouldn't be set up as an "iCloud account" (would it??)....

How to set up outgoing mail server on iOS 12 mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.