Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos to external hard drive

How do I move some of my photo albums on my mac to an external hard drive?

Macbook (2016 or later)

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 1:31 AM

You can move the complete Photos Library to an external drive, but not just selected albums.. If you are using Photos for Mac, the photos need to be in a Photos Library.

To move the Library to an external drive, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You may want to use two separate libraries, one smaller library with just your favorite photos on the internal drive, and a full archive of all photos on the external drive.

This is described here: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2018 1:31 AM in response to rubybosjohnston

You can move the complete Photos Library to an external drive, but not just selected albums.. If you are using Photos for Mac, the photos need to be in a Photos Library.

To move the Library to an external drive, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You may want to use two separate libraries, one smaller library with just your favorite photos on the internal drive, and a full archive of all photos on the external drive.

This is described here: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Moving photos to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.