Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import settings in Foto's

I have recently migrated from Aperture to Foto's as Aperture is no longer supported by Apple.

Foto's is fine, barring (for me) one annoying shortcoming: I can not find any of the elaborate "import settings" functions that are available in Aperture. In particular: "rename files" - "custom name with counter" - "edit", which I need to continue / maintain the numbering system that started many years ago.

Does anyone share my experience ? Or has anyone found a way around this challenge ?

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 5:09 AM

3 replies

Jan 3, 2019 7:41 AM in response to blokhut

Léonie, Thanks again for pointing me into the right direction. I have spent a challenging week finding out what AppleScript and Automator are all about - and I'm impressed with the possibilities! I am now able to successfully run the script you suggested: Batch Change Title to Capture Date-Description-Padded Sequential Numbers by Old Toad and yourself. However, I would again like to ask for your help: When I run the script, the numbers always starts with "1". How do I change the script to make a particular batch start with a specific number e.g. 9073. And if at all possible I would like to replace the "--" intended for the "description of all images" with only "#" (no descriptions required). Grateful for your help. Best regards and of course Happy new year

Dec 26, 2018 12:11 PM in response to blokhut

Photos does not have any of the elaborate batch changing options for metadata, that Aperture had, or even iPhoto.

If you want to batch edit metadata, you have to use Apple Script.

You may want to have a look at the Apple scripts we collected in the User Tip section:

Thematic Index to Photos for Mac related … - Apple Community

(scroll down to "Scripting Photos").

There is no way to use Apple Script to rename the original files in Photos, however. We can use Appel Script to modify the titles, captions, key words, locations, the dates.

Dec 27, 2018 2:16 AM in response to léonie

Léonie, Many thanks for your fast and very clear explanation. When using several camera's simultaneously over many years, it is vital to maintain a consistent indexing system. Mine was simple: For every country: "year-month-day # sequence number (from 1 to infinity)" and I find it hard to understand why this function is not incorporated into Photos as many users wil have come from Aperture. I will certainly try your suggestion to use Scripting Photos. The "Date-Description-Padded Sequential Numbers". would seem my best choice, however my knowledge of my iMac does not really go beyond the screen and looking at the Scripting examples I doubt if I can apply this. I might have to return to Aperture. Thanks for your help !

Import settings in Foto's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.