Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sign in & unable to use home sharing

Signed into Apple TV already and when trying to enable home sharing and attempt to sign in I get “Unable to sign in” “The Apple ID you entered couldn’t be found or your password was incorrect. Please try again. “

a family member used their sign in to rent a movie but I wasn’t receiving the approval prompt. So I tried to log back in(which I couldn’t do, so I changed my password, held down and menu, restarted, reset, & unplugged the Apple TV) I’m signed in on my laptop and my phone. I’m getting the verification codes. I verified the home sharing is enabled on my laptop.

Its an Apple TV 3rd gen. Software is updated.

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 5:59 AM

If you changed the password for your Apple ID, then also log out of Home Sharing and set it up with the new password on both devices (Apple TV and computer with iTunes). Like a reset of this service.

iTunes: menu File﹥Home Sharing﹥Turn Off Home Sharing

iTunes: menu File﹥Home Sharing﹥Turn On Home Sharing﹥[Apple ID+password]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2018 5:59 AM in response to A StLCardinals Fan

If you changed the password for your Apple ID, then also log out of Home Sharing and set it up with the new password on both devices (Apple TV and computer with iTunes). Like a reset of this service.

iTunes: menu File﹥Home Sharing﹥Turn Off Home Sharing

iTunes: menu File﹥Home Sharing﹥Turn On Home Sharing﹥[Apple ID+password]

Dec 26, 2018 5:53 AM in response to A StLCardinals Fan

If you have Two-Factor Authentication for your Apple ID, and a device with older software, then the procedure is a bit special:

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?
If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code* from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

There is a time limit before the code expires, so request your code (or a new code*) after entering the characters of your password, to use those precious seconds effectively for just the code.

If you tried the above as described and it didn’t work, then try this suggestion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8597037

Unable to sign in & unable to use home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.