Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K not playing Atmos

Hi. I am hoping you can help me with my issue. My set up is quite simple:

Onkyo TX NR-787 with Dolby Atmos

Vizio P75-F1 4K UHD with HDR 10 and Dolby Vision

Apple TV

Have 5.1.4 set up with .4 as 2 height ceiling speakers and 2 dolby enable speakers in the back. Atmos worked when I played Dolby Demo via Xbox One S.

My only issue which could be a deal breaker is that that it would not play Dolby Atmos for iTunes movies that have Dolby Atmos output on Apple TV. My HDMI cable is latest, is connected directly to AVR. The TV set up has speakers off and the audio coding is happening at the AVR level. Apple TV setting show Dolby Atmos is on. How am I testing this - The title of the movie shows Dolby Atmos in iTunes Movies app but when a trailer is played, the info shows it is playing in Dolby Surround 5.1.4 48hertz and I have never seen Dolby Atmos played via Apple TV.

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 11:54 PM

Thanks and yes, trailers do not have to play in Atmos but wish they did because I am sure that I won’t be the first and last one who may think there’s an issue why output doesn’t say Atmos when playing trailers. I rented Oblivion on iTunes movie and sure enough the codec output played in Atmos. This issue was resolved for me.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2018 11:54 PM in response to Sumeg

Thanks and yes, trailers do not have to play in Atmos but wish they did because I am sure that I won’t be the first and last one who may think there’s an issue why output doesn’t say Atmos when playing trailers. I rented Oblivion on iTunes movie and sure enough the codec output played in Atmos. This issue was resolved for me.

Dec 26, 2018 10:02 PM in response to Sumeg

… but when a trailer is played …

The trailers do not have to match the actual content of the movie for specifications. Not sure if any trailer has Atmos.

However, reportedly iTunes Home Sharing supports Atmos as well, so you can download test files to your heart’s content. E.g. Dolby offers a few 1-minute demo files, that are iTunes compatible.

Apple TV 4K not playing Atmos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.