Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Duplicates

I noticed that my Aperture Libraries were much bigger than they were supposed to be given the number of pictures in them. I repaired, moved to new discs, everything obvious. In the finder it kept saying one size, but the drives' available space was always much less than it should be. So I opened the package and found hundreds of these duplicate folders. They're not even all identical, but many of them are.

I have no idea how to fix this, but I know I have to even if I move away from Aperture (and I'm thinking I can't muddle along like this with my business living on unsupported software).

Has anyone seen this? Is there a way using software like Gemini2 to delete these duplicates from the package without totally screwing up Aperture and the database?

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 6:28 AM

Are you using any tools, that automatically import to Aperture?

An Autoimport Folder, or My Photo Stream?

Have you been using plug-ins or external editors, that are saving photos back to the Aperture Library?

I have occasionally seen a duplicate folder in Masters, when I used an external Editor, that wrote directly to the Masters folder.

To fix this, I would select all items in Aperture and export a new Library.

Do you have an external drive with enough free storage, so you can recreate your library by exporting?

Select everything - projects and albums at once, then use the command "File > export > Export items as a new Library".

Exporting a library should omit the redundant items in the Masters folder.

I would not use a duplicate cleaner, that modifies the Library directly. It could damage the library beyond repair.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2018 6:28 AM in response to cashilini

Are you using any tools, that automatically import to Aperture?

An Autoimport Folder, or My Photo Stream?

Have you been using plug-ins or external editors, that are saving photos back to the Aperture Library?

I have occasionally seen a duplicate folder in Masters, when I used an external Editor, that wrote directly to the Masters folder.

To fix this, I would select all items in Aperture and export a new Library.

Do you have an external drive with enough free storage, so you can recreate your library by exporting?

Select everything - projects and albums at once, then use the command "File > export > Export items as a new Library".

Exporting a library should omit the redundant items in the Masters folder.

I would not use a duplicate cleaner, that modifies the Library directly. It could damage the library beyond repair.

Dec 27, 2018 7:43 AM in response to léonie

Nothing that imports into Aperture.

Occasional Nik/Photoshop editing, but those folders look different (name of file, no trailing parenthetical numbers).

Last night, I did start exporting parts as new libraries, and found that the new libraries had all the expected files but were 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 the size of the libraries that I started with. But if I don't know how this happened I don't know how long this will hold.

Thanks for the reply.

Dec 27, 2018 9:08 AM in response to cashilini

Last night, I did start exporting parts as new libraries, and found that the new libraries had all the expected files but were 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 the size of the libraries that I started with

That is good. At least it will allow you to create a backup without the duplicates.

Where is your Aperture Library stored? Is it on your system volume or on an external volume?

Aperture Duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.