Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture -- Black previews but mb. data is present

I still use Aperture [am on Mojave] and one of my libraries is the result of importing smaller ones into it == images etc. are just fine but some of the images in what is called "recovered project" [don't know where from] has about 90% of the previews showing in black. I have rebuilt the library and repaired the database, they're still there. Before I toss them, is there anything else to do?? Thanks.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 7:46 AM

"Recovered items" are usually created, when an Aperture Library is repaired, rebuild, or updated from an earlier version. Aperture is collecting all kinds of "lost and Found" items there, that are found in the Aperture Library, but not tied to any thumbnails. Mostly these are files that could not be trashed properly, when deleting items, or files saved back incorrectly from third party applications. Usually I could simply delete the "recovered items" because they were redundant and the original versions where still in the library and working properly.

You may want to look at the filenames, if you can identify the images this way. If the file names are weird, cryptic sequences of letters, the item is probably a working copy, that can be deleted.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Victoria Herring

"Recovered items" are usually created, when an Aperture Library is repaired, rebuild, or updated from an earlier version. Aperture is collecting all kinds of "lost and Found" items there, that are found in the Aperture Library, but not tied to any thumbnails. Mostly these are files that could not be trashed properly, when deleting items, or files saved back incorrectly from third party applications. Usually I could simply delete the "recovered items" because they were redundant and the original versions where still in the library and working properly.

You may want to look at the filenames, if you can identify the images this way. If the file names are weird, cryptic sequences of letters, the item is probably a working copy, that can be deleted.

Jul 10, 2021 8:31 AM in response to Victoria Herring

You're welcome, Victoria. Just try to get the move to an Aperture successor done, while you still have a Mac that can run Aperture. Otherwise you cannot create high resolution previews in Aperture to save the edited versions, and it will be hard to weed out legacy items (videos and images in a format that can no longer be processed on the newer system versions, because 32-bit iLive frameworks are missing).

Jul 10, 2021 9:11 AM in response to Victoria Herring

I am still having two of my Macs running Mojave, just for the pleasure of being able to run Aperture and GarageBand '11 and other older software, but these Macs (both late 2015 models) are starting to show signs of ageing and making me nervous. The newer Macs cannot be downgraded to Mojave, so I will be stuck with Big Sur and Monterey, once the old Macs have to be abandoned. It is hard today, when this day will come, but the end is nye. I have moved all Aperture and iPhoto Libraries to Photos for Mac and the GarageBand projects to Logic Pro X, but I am continually coming across media files (videos, audio files, images) that still need converting in my new Photos Libraries, in iMovie projects, Logic Pro projects.

Aperture -- Black previews but mb. data is present

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.