Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini has no sound through HDMI on my LG TV

My Mac Mini was working perfectly with my tv and i could get sound, but it has suddenly stopped working. I came home after Christmas and went to watch something online and there was no sound.

i looked up several topics on this forum and tried multiple things but it is still having issues.

Things ive tried:

Set Output to LGTV (makes the sound option go faint)

Went through Audio Midi Setup.app and configured settings to multiple different options, also right clicked the HDMI and the option for setting output to this was faded and unusable

Turned on and off Mac Mini multiple times

Turned off TV, pulled out HDMI cord, waited a bit, plugged it back in and turned back on the tv

Checked for system updates

Unplugged any other sound sources from the Mac Mini box

All Of these have left me in the same position I was in when I first started. It’s actually been quite frustrating and is no longer making sense why the sound is not working.

I also tried downloading an app someone had mentioned in one of the forum posts - EyeTv - however this costs quite a bit of money and is no guarantee.

Would love I’ve some help in figuring this all out. I bought the Mac Mini used and does not have a warranty anymore, so taking into Apple will not be an option at this point.

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 1:25 PM

Try these resets

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Can you test the TVs sound with another HDMI output device using the same cable?

Test the Mac's headphone jack output as a test too.

Similar questions

1 reply

Mac Mini has no sound through HDMI on my LG TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.