Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Mac G4ppc as a wireless music player/hub?

Apologies if this has been done before, but I’ve searched and not come across quite the same thing as I’m asking....

I have an old G4 ppc running OSX 10.4 gathering dust in the corner that currently has a large amount of music stored on it.

is it possible to connect this via Ethernet to a dedicated wireless router, and connect wirelessly to the Mac via phone/iPad/alternative device to play music directly from the Mac?

Rather than treating the Mac as a server to stream music to the other devices, I’d like to build a home audio setup around the Mac, the audio being directly taken from the audio out and sent around the house to various areas, controllable by a wireless device to stop/start/skip without having to go directly to the computer. Hardware is not really an issue, as I’ve also got a lot of that gathering dust.... it’s how to set up the Mac and associated connectivity that I can’t quite get my head around.

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 12:11 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 28, 2018 9:17 PM in response to Rumplefunkskin

Hi,

I probably don't know much more than you do about all the available options, but we can at least brainstorm together.

If you can plug your sound system directly into the computer and control it with a wireless keyboard, then you can achieve your play/pause/skip functionality with the spacebar and arrow keys from anywhere that the keyboard will reach.

Or there's Bluetooth speakers. A lot of these have pause/play and skip buttons. The caveat is that you can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time, so unless you find a device that can split out into various speakers, you might only have one speaker.

Also, the G4 might need a USB Bluetooth adapter if it's not built in. This would apply to both of the above options.

The router option is probably more trouble than it's worth. I've set up a Mac Pro with a dedicated router before and controlled it via Screen Sharing on my MacBook Pro, and Air Display on my iPhone. It felt like a novelty gimmick, not something you'd actually want to do regularly. But it is possible at least with Intel Macs; I can't remember if PPC 10.4 supports screen sharing or not.

I don't know of any iOS solution that will interface with PowerPC hardware.

If you want to explore the router option further, I can detail how I set mine up, but from what I can tell, it sounds like a Bluetooth keyboard might be the absolute simplest way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

You could even add unlimited wireless speakers with a simple FM transmitter/receiver system, where you plug a transmitter into the computer's headphone jack and put as many receivers as you want on the same channel, with a speaker plugged into each one.

Hope this helps!

Theoden

Using a Mac G4ppc as a wireless music player/hub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.