Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini as music server & Airplay audio receiver in Monterey, how does the Mac switch the audio source

I'm considering getting an M1 Mac Mini to use primarily as a hi res music server using locally stored FLAC files (probably JRiver) which will send audio to an external DAC over USB. But I also want to use this Mini as an Airplay receiver for iPhone audio, for streaming Spotify and podcasts etc. My question is, how does the Mac switch between playing local music files and receiving audio over Airplay? Is this done automatically? (The sound output will always stay on the external DAC). I've used Apple TV as an Airplay receiver and it automatically switches from it's apps to Airplay when it sees an Airplay signal. I'm hoping NOT to have to manually change the Mac Mini sound input each time I want to switch between playing music over JRiver and Airplay.

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 7:02 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 2, 2022 4:08 AM in response to Bob Kirschner

I have used AirServer successfully for several years.

The Airplay receiver functionality is part of Monterey, not of a specific mac. That said, there may be restrictions as to which macs support it.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204289

This page mentions macs starting from about 2018, but it seems to refer to the source devices and not the receiver.

FWIW, I can use my mac (2019 16" MBP) as Airplay Receiver without any problems.

If you have an older mac that supports Monterey, I suggest you just try it out.

It could be that "Airplay Receiver" does not work, in which case it probably won't appear at all in System Preferences->Sharing; but it might work...

Jan 2, 2022 8:47 AM in response to BlueberryLover

BlueberryLover wrote:

I have a Mac mini (2018) running Monterey 12.1. My iPhone (IOS 15.2) can use the Mac as an Airplay device (see below),

- Pie Lover

Thanks so much for your reply and the screenshot! I was really unsure about which Mac Mini would be able to receive Airplay using Monterey. I distinctly remember seeing an Apple document that said 2014 or later models are compatible, but then more recently I found this system requirement doc that says 2020 or later. So I'm super happy to know I can use a 2018 model!

Jan 1, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks so much Luis! That's great to hear.

Just as a follow up, I'd actually prefer not to have to purchase an M1 Mac Mini which is overkill for my purposes as a dedicated music server. But having native Airplay does require a 2020 Mac Mini running Monterey. Do you know if I can get this same type of 'automatic switching' functionality from an earlier model Mac Mini using third party software to get Airplay compatible? I see a few software packages like AirServer or Reflector.

Mac Mini as music server & Airplay audio receiver in Monterey, how does the Mac switch the audio source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.