Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I play audio through my Macbook's speakers AND to an airplay device, simultaneously?

Under my volume icon, I have several outputs. If I select my AirPlay device (an Airport Express v2) then audio plays through that device to some external speakers, as expected. My goal here is to simultaneously play the same audio from my Macbook's internal speakers as well, when I do this.

I believe there is theoretically a way to do this under Audio Devices. I've used Aggregate and Multi-Output Devices before, but the method I'm used to doesn't seem to work here. When AirPlay is selected, I can create a new Aggregate Device. I check "use" for both my Macbook's speakers and Airplay. Those devices appear as expected in subdevices/output channels. Then, I switch over to this new Aggregate output under the volume icon. When doing so, the audio plays from my Macbook speakers, but not through Airplay. In fact, the Airplay I checked "use" on greys out and becomes offline. The same is true if I make a Multi-Output device. If I click on the Airplay listing in Audio Devices, there isn't an option to add additional audio outputs to it.

Is there another way to do this so that I can use both outputs at the same time?

I'm on a Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:37 AM

Yeah, I read it. That method works perfectly, provided that you are using the Apple Music app and pressing the Airplay button:

I guess my question is, is there a way to do this outside of Apple Music? Say, with my system audio as a whole? Or an app which doesn't appear to have the Airplay button?

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 27, 2022 8:02 PM in response to sixteenbits

I'm beginning to think the answer may be upgrading to Monterrey, or minimally Big Sur.

It appears the Control Center feature (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211786) was added in Big Sur, and allows for system audio to be streamed using Airplay 2. This would allow a Macbook to stream audio to an Airport while also playing the same audio from its own speakers (as well as to other speakers/audio targets, as well).

In Catalina, it appears that the means of streaming to an Airplay target plus other speakers is limited to using Apple Music. Maybe there's a workaround? I haven't figured that out yet. It seems you can only do it in places you see this symbol

...and in Catalina, I can't find this outside of the Apple Music app.

Feb 12, 2022 7:18 PM in response to sixteenbits

Update. I migrated to Monterey, and am happy to report I am able to play audio from both my Macbook's speakers AND my home audio (via Airport Express) when using the Apple Music app. However, I still haven't found a way to do this with Spotify, or just system audio. It seems there are third-party apps which can do this (eg Airfoil) but it seems like there should be a way to do it natively...

Feb 13, 2022 6:51 AM in response to sixteenbits

sixteenbits wrote:
I still haven't found a way to do this with Spotify, or just system audio. It seems there are third-party apps which can do this (eg Airfoil) but it seems like there should be a way to do it natively...

Unfortunately, there isn't a native "built into" way to do it in macOS. That's why there are products like Airfoil and Audio Hijack. Great products, by the way.

Can I play audio through my Macbook's speakers AND to an airplay device, simultaneously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.