Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos sidebar

How do I hide/show the sidebar in iPhoto

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 3:07 PM

Which version of Photos are you using?

In the early versions of Photos 1.0 and 2.0 on MacOS 10.10.3 Mojave up to MacOS 10.12 Sierra, you could reveal and hide the sidebar with the key combination option-command-S (⌥⌘S).

In Photos 3.0 and 4.0 on the newer system versions it should always be showing, unless the window size is too small, or you are in Full Screen mode.

So, if you are using an early version of Photos, try the key combination to toggle the sidebar on and off, if it is not showing.

In Photos 3.0 or 4.0, drag the corners of the Photos window to enlarge the window. If you want to see the sidebar in full screen mode, enable the the option in the View menu: View > Always show toolbar and sidebar in Full Screen Mode.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 3:07 PM in response to jao866ac

Which version of Photos are you using?

In the early versions of Photos 1.0 and 2.0 on MacOS 10.10.3 Mojave up to MacOS 10.12 Sierra, you could reveal and hide the sidebar with the key combination option-command-S (⌥⌘S).

In Photos 3.0 and 4.0 on the newer system versions it should always be showing, unless the window size is too small, or you are in Full Screen mode.

So, if you are using an early version of Photos, try the key combination to toggle the sidebar on and off, if it is not showing.

In Photos 3.0 or 4.0, drag the corners of the Photos window to enlarge the window. If you want to see the sidebar in full screen mode, enable the the option in the View menu: View > Always show toolbar and sidebar in Full Screen Mode.

Dec 28, 2018 2:24 PM in response to jao866ac

Greetings, jao866ac.

I see that the side bar listing the albums in the Photos application isn't showing. I'm happy to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if the list appears in the Photos application. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Photos sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.