Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete partition and resize the macintosh HD

Informations:

1- I have a bootcamp, i'm running windows 10 and i DON'T want to delete, i'm ok with the space, and its running fine.

2- I increased the space of the bootcamp partition (windows) once because i needed to download stuff, but now i have free space in windows, so I created a new partition, called "free", trying to give the space of "free" to macintosh HD, because i want these 16gbs on the mac OS, not in the windows OS.

3- I used minitool wizard to do this.

4- I'm using mid 2017 mbp with mojave.

The question is: How can I delete the "free" partition and give space to the macintosh HD (in the case, i would increase the macintosh HD from 43Gb to 59Gb)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 10:10 AM

Hey, I did it, not in this way, just saying here so you can help others (that were in the same situation as me) in the future ...

In minitool partition wizard, the option is actually resize/move, something like this, and the unallocated space gone to the right, "far" from the macos partition, so I give the unallocated space back to bootcamp (windows) and moved to the left, and the unallocated space went between the macos and windows... going back to mac, i was able to delete the "free space" and integrate this space to the macos partition, i was with 5gb free on mac and now i have like 20gb... its just about continuity...

Thanks anyways, hope this helps people in the future or something... XD

HOW TO INCREASE/DECREASE BOOTCAMP PARTITION WITHOUT DELETING WINDOWS OR MAC:

1- Create an empty partition on mac, you will have 3 partitions, the mac one, the windows one and the new one (empty)

2-Using minitool partition wizard on windows (its free), you can format the empty partition and take the space to windows...

3-If you want to give space back to mac, you need to resize the bootcamp partition, and the unallocated space must be in the left (between bootcamp and macos partitions), so, going back to mac, you are able to just delete the free space partition and give this space to the mac disk...

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2018 10:10 AM in response to Loner T

Hey, I did it, not in this way, just saying here so you can help others (that were in the same situation as me) in the future ...

In minitool partition wizard, the option is actually resize/move, something like this, and the unallocated space gone to the right, "far" from the macos partition, so I give the unallocated space back to bootcamp (windows) and moved to the left, and the unallocated space went between the macos and windows... going back to mac, i was able to delete the "free space" and integrate this space to the macos partition, i was with 5gb free on mac and now i have like 20gb... its just about continuity...

Thanks anyways, hope this helps people in the future or something... XD

HOW TO INCREASE/DECREASE BOOTCAMP PARTITION WITHOUT DELETING WINDOWS OR MAC:

1- Create an empty partition on mac, you will have 3 partitions, the mac one, the windows one and the new one (empty)

2-Using minitool partition wizard on windows (its free), you can format the empty partition and take the space to windows...

3-If you want to give space back to mac, you need to resize the bootcamp partition, and the unallocated space must be in the left (between bootcamp and macos partitions), so, going back to mac, you are able to just delete the free space partition and give this space to the mac disk...

Dec 28, 2018 2:57 PM in response to Loner T

Just an edit, to be more clear: i had too much space in bootcamp and i want to transfer to the original macintosh, i dont want to delete stuff, just transfer, so, using minitool i took space from the bootcamp to unallocated, i have 12.7gb unallocated and i want to take them to macintosh hd.

Answering you:

Last login: Fri Dec 28 19:52:29 on ttys000

Gabriels-MacBook-Pro:~ gabrielsa$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         121.3 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         43.0 GB    disk0s2

3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                64.4 GB    disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +43.0 GB    disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            35.7 GB    disk1s1

2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 69.5 MB    disk1s2

3:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.0 GB     disk1s3

4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk1s4

Gabriels-MacBook-Pro:~ gabrielsa$ sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

Password:

gpt show: unable to open device '/dev/disk0': Operation not permitted

Gabriels-MacBook-Pro:~ gabrielsa$ 

Unable to delete partition and resize the macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.