Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Disk Space after Uninstalling Windows 10

I recently used Boot Camp to install Windows 10 on my iMac. Something went wrong with the installation, and it was not working correctly, so I decided to uninstall and try again. I used Boot Camp to uninstall, and it said that it would restore my Mac HD to the full terabyte. I assumed that it would actually do this, but apparently that was silly of me. When I went to reinstall Windows, it was showing that I only had the space that was on the macOS partition when I'd had Windows installed. Disk Utility shows the rest as "Free space."

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, I can not drag the resize controller as it suggests. I can only drag to make Mac HD smaller. If I select the free space and decrease the number of partitions, it shows that it will combine it with the Mac HD partition, but when I actually go to do it, I get this:

User uploaded file

This is what I get from diskutil list:

User uploaded file

I booted with Command + R and deleted the Mac HD partition, hoping that it would combine the two, but it did not. So now I have a fresh install, but I still only have the 491/1000GB.

I've seen many threads on this topic, but I've yet to find any actual answers. I'm generally a PC person - this is my work computer - and this is boggling my mind because I didn't think allocating space could be so difficult! Like I said, I've already backed up and erased the hard drive, so at this point I'm willing to try anything.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 6:30 AM

Try booting into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R). Launch Disk Utility and change the View to Show All Devices. Click the device media (Apple HDD HTS.....) and click Erase. This should allow you to reformat the entire drive to Mac OS Extended/Journaled. If all succeeds then you can close Disk Utility and Reinstall macOS High Sierra.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2018 6:30 AM in response to nicki78

Try booting into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R). Launch Disk Utility and change the View to Show All Devices. Click the device media (Apple HDD HTS.....) and click Erase. This should allow you to reformat the entire drive to Mac OS Extended/Journaled. If all succeeds then you can close Disk Utility and Reinstall macOS High Sierra.

Sep 12, 2018 1:28 PM in response to nicki78

Always have backups of everything prior to commencing any partitioning or re-partitioning efforts.

Because things sometimes do go weird with storage partitioning.

When re-partitioning goes weird, back up each partition, wipe the entire storage device, restore the backups, and repartition the whole volume as required—start over.

I'd assume that the reinstall attempt didn't wipe the whole storage device.

I'm also assuming that this is not an iMac with a Fusion drive.

Sep 13, 2018 5:14 AM in response to MrHoffman

I did have backups of everything beforehand, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to the topic at hand. I didn't lose any files.

I am absolutely sure that I did what I was supposed to do to wipe the entire storage device. Multiple times. It just didn't work. And judging by the number of threads I've seen on this issue, I'm not the problem in this equation.

No, it does not have a Fusion drive, unfortunately.

Lost Disk Space after Uninstalling Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.