Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost space after removing bootcamp partition from disk utility

I'm trying to help a friend that had Bootcamp installed with Win 10. It's a Macbook pro 13 early 2015 running El Capitan 10.11.6.

From what he told me he went into disk utility and just removed the bootcamp partition. (probably did other things after that but can't be sure what it was).

It's ok to lose the bootcamp partition, the really weird stuff is that now I only see 1 partition on disk utility (the mac one) with only 187GB of space instead of the full 256/251GB. Using bootcamp to re-install gives an error saying it can't partition the disk. Tried also first aid and it's all OK. disk utility to create a new partition also doesn't work.

How can I recover the mac to a full 1 partition without re-installing mac OS ?

I ran common list to commands to get some information (diskutil list, diskutil cs list, sudo gpt....) and here's the result: /dev/disk0 (internal, physical): #: TYPE NAME - Pastebin.com

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 8:53 AM

Looks like I found a solution.

I entered Internet Recovery, ran disk utility, created a new partition and then removed it and it seems I got 1 partition with full disk space. Restarted into normal Mac and it works.

Similar questions

2 replies

Lost space after removing bootcamp partition from disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.