Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partitioning; less space available after first, failed attempt

Dear mac-community,

I hope this finds you well;

The partioning option of the bootcamp assistant shows less space available than the disk utility.

The harddrive space became unavailable after stopping my first bootcamp attempt. It feels like my mac became slower afterwards as well, but that may just be me.

A backup is there, these are pictures of the partitioning in bootcamp and disk utility and the output of the diskutil list command.

Thank you for your help

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 5:21 PM

Fl_a_k_e_s wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2ca8df01-5d33-4978-81f3-a7d380faac8a

The command should not use "-q". Use

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk1

The 'limits' command shows 344GB as minimum, which leaves 155GB. 10GB will be used by the Windows Installer, which leaves 145GB. The fsck_apfs command should show local snapshots.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 5:21 PM in response to Fl_a_k_e_s

Fl_a_k_e_s wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2ca8df01-5d33-4978-81f3-a7d380faac8a

The command should not use "-q". Use

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk1

The 'limits' command shows 344GB as minimum, which leaves 155GB. 10GB will be used by the Windows Installer, which leaves 145GB. The fsck_apfs command should show local snapshots.

Sep 20, 2019 9:49 AM in response to Loner T

Ive tried to delete the snapshots one by one with 'sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2019-09-19-....'.

The first time I used the command on every Snapshot, but even after sometime later, the listlocalsnapshots command listed them. The second time I used the command only on the first backup before some other commands I found. The first local snapshot seems to be gone now.

Other commands I've tried were:

'sudo mv / .MobileBackups.trash ~/Desktop/MobileBackupsTrash'

'sudo rm -rf /.MobileBackups.trash.

'sudo tmutil disablelocal'

But, according to what I found on the internet, won't the local snapshots be transfered to the external disk anyway?

Thank you for your prolonged help, even though this isn't immidiatly related to bootcamp anymore

Bootcamp partitioning; less space available after first, failed attempt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.