Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot resize bootcamp partition or any for that matter on macOS Monterey

Hey!

I am using a 16inch 2019 5500M 4GB with 1TB of space with macOS Monterey. I have 121 GB of dedicated space for Windows and everything else for Mac. I would like to relocate part of the Mac partition, since I am not using it, to Windows to install some more games.

I used to have disk full but now I emptied it to be only half full.

When I click Apple -> About This Mac -> Storage, it says I am using around 360GB out of 880 GB.

However when I enter Disk Utilty, no matter which Disk I choose, it always gives out a striked out picture that I cannot make another partition and then attach it to Windows one.

I tried cleaning the disk, restarting, leaving it be for a couple of days.. nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 4:52 PM

I don't know if it is possible at all, but you should only use Bootcamp Assistant to adjust the Bootcamp partition. Trying it with anything else will likely result in losing the Mac partition, the Windows partition, or both.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 5, 2022 4:11 PM in response to Namgyel

The bootcamp partition cannot be dynamically resized with Disk Utility in macOS. The bootcamp partition is NTFS and macOS cannot dynamically resize it. Doing so while booted from Windows might not work because Windows won't recognize the macOS APFS partitions. 3rd party disk tools claim to work but it is a risky business. Better to backup your Windows system and destroy the bootcamp partition, allocate more free space from your Mac partitions and then reinstall bootcamp and restore your data.

Cannot resize bootcamp partition or any for that matter on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.