Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud computer backup

Can I do an entire computer backup using iCloud? If so, how do I ensure all my files are backed up? And how do I recover them? I am getting my macbook repaired and I want to make sure I will be able to get all my files back if they need to wipe my hard drive.

Macbook (2015 or later)

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 4:21 PM

iCloud is designed to backup iPhones and other iOS devices but it does not back up Mac computers.

You can use iCloud Drive (and Desktop and Documents) to sync some files to iCloud but that is not a backup and it also does not sync all of your files.

I would highly recommend that you get an external USB hard drive and use that for a backup. At a minimum I would use Time Machine to do a backup to the external drive. See: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 4:21 PM in response to mtak2001

iCloud is designed to backup iPhones and other iOS devices but it does not back up Mac computers.

You can use iCloud Drive (and Desktop and Documents) to sync some files to iCloud but that is not a backup and it also does not sync all of your files.

I would highly recommend that you get an external USB hard drive and use that for a backup. At a minimum I would use Time Machine to do a backup to the external drive. See: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

iCloud computer backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.