Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Powerbook does not recognize Sony DCR TRV10 Camcorder

I am trying to archive a bunch of Mini DV tapes recorded on my Sony DCR TRV10 Camcorder. I hooked up the camcorder to the Powerbook via i.link (4pin) to 9 pin firewire cable and then Apple firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor. I am running MacOS Mojave 10.14.2. The macbook does not recognize the camcorder. When I looked online to see what iMovie was compatible with, it did not list my camcorder specifically, but it said that "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices." When I hook it up, I make sure that I have the AC power connected to the camcorder, and turn it on to "VTR" mode. What can be the problem?

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 3:47 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 30, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I'm sorry I misstated the computer. It is a mid 2012 17" MacBook Pro Retina. I am running MacOS 10.14.2 and iMovie 10.1.10.

I have read the articles on how to connect and have tried various combinations and sequences of powering on the camcorder, starting the tape, restarting the computer with no luck so far. Is it possible that I need some older versions of software or drivers to recognize this camcorder?

Dec 30, 2018 4:18 PM in response to cadat

iMovie 9 sometimes can import Mini DVD when iMovie 10 has trouble. However, I have not been able to get iMovie 9.0.9 to open with Mojave. I know it works on El Capitan. So, if you have an older computer running iMovie 9 you might be able to import into iMovie 9 and then transfer the imported clips into current iMovie.

--- Rich

Dec 30, 2018 8:05 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you for your ideas on solving this problem. I finally tried this same connection with a different MacBook Pro (13" retina early 2015) running the same version of iMovie, and MacOS 10.13.6, and lo and behold - it worked! The newer laptop (with High Sierra!?) instantly recognized the camcorder as soon as I turned it on.

Why the older MacBook would not recognize the camera will remain a mystery for now, but at least I have a solution for archiving my old mini DV tapes.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year!

Mac Powerbook does not recognize Sony DCR TRV10 Camcorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.