Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help downloading all iCloud photos with iCloud-PC

I'm trying to download thousands of photos from iCloud to my Windows 10 PC using iCloud for Windows, but I can't seem to get the downloading process to begin. I've installed iCloud for Windows and set the options below, including "download new photos to my PC". I also installed Itunes, logged in, and opened the app.

When I right-click the iCloud icon in my system tray, I see the option to open iCloud.com and open iCloud settings, but nothing about downloading. I've read posts that mention iCloud having to initialize. I have no idea what that means or what makes it occur.

I'd appreciate any help!

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 6:30 AM

OK, after much hunting around I've learned that you've got to do the following to initiate a download from iCloud for Windows:

• Select the "iCloud Photo Library" option on the iCloud app's Photo settings.
  • Open an explorer window and navigate to iCloud photos. This should also appear under Favorites or can be accessed from your start menu via iCloud>iCloud photos.
  • Now that you've got the app settings correct, a "Download photos and videos" link will appear at the top of the iCloud explorer window (see screenshot).
  • Click the "Download photos and videos" link. Now you'll see a message that your download is being prepared.
  • Now -- miraculously! -- if you right-click the iCloud icon in the system tray it will show the state of your initializing download process.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2018 6:30 AM in response to kathyxyz

OK, after much hunting around I've learned that you've got to do the following to initiate a download from iCloud for Windows:

• Select the "iCloud Photo Library" option on the iCloud app's Photo settings.
  • Open an explorer window and navigate to iCloud photos. This should also appear under Favorites or can be accessed from your start menu via iCloud>iCloud photos.
  • Now that you've got the app settings correct, a "Download photos and videos" link will appear at the top of the iCloud explorer window (see screenshot).
  • Click the "Download photos and videos" link. Now you'll see a message that your download is being prepared.
  • Now -- miraculously! -- if you right-click the iCloud icon in the system tray it will show the state of your initializing download process.

Help downloading all iCloud photos with iCloud-PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.