Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best USB Female adapter for lightning to add storage?

Anyone test any USB female adapters to connect USB Thumb drives to iPads? I want to be able to store information on my regular thumb drives and copy it straight from the thumb drives from photos.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 2, 2019 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 9:07 AM

Shopped around, and found this awesome flash drive, which just arrived today in the mail:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32-64-128-256GB-i-Flash-Drive-For-iPhone-Android-OTG-USB-2-0-Memory-Stick-KY-USA/223271421759

Only limitation was it needed to download an App, which thankfully was iOS 11.4.1 compatible.

Note: when you backup to it music off your iDevice, it may attempt to backup .m4a files. Music is still better one way from computer to iDevice with this flash drive. And it will only play mp3 files from the computer when it comes to music.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2019 9:07 AM in response to a brody

Shopped around, and found this awesome flash drive, which just arrived today in the mail:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32-64-128-256GB-i-Flash-Drive-For-iPhone-Android-OTG-USB-2-0-Memory-Stick-KY-USA/223271421759

Only limitation was it needed to download an App, which thankfully was iOS 11.4.1 compatible.

Note: when you backup to it music off your iDevice, it may attempt to backup .m4a files. Music is still better one way from computer to iDevice with this flash drive. And it will only play mp3 files from the computer when it comes to music.

Jan 2, 2019 3:48 PM in response to a brody

USB thumb drives are often problematic when connecting to an iPad. Many of these devices require more power than the iPad can directly provide - often necessitating connection via an intermediate self-powered USB hub.

Some USB devices, with lower power requirements, are reportedly usable if connected using Apple’s own Lightning to USB adapter - the latest version of which usefully allows simultaneous connection of power via a secondary Lightning connector (resolving power needs of many other devices).

You should also be aware of limitations associated with iOS and USB storage. Support for file types are highly limited; many file systems (such as NTFS) are not supported; file and folder structure and naming must typically conform to the structure typically found on a digitial camera card. The USB device cannot be formatted to a compatible file system by iOS; formatting to a compatible file system must be performed externally using a PC or Mac.

Other proprietary USB devices exist, together with an associated device App, to facilitate file transfer between the iOS and storage devices, however, support for file types generally remains limited to those natively supported by iOS.

I hope you find this to be of some help.

Jan 2, 2019 4:14 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks. I had seen the PNY devices at Staples that double as Flash drives for iPads and iPhones, but they were out of my price range. That’s why I was wondering if there was an intermediate priced adapter that would work.

Are the USB thumb drives themselves rated usable at a specific voltage that I can match up with the Apple adapter?

Best USB Female adapter for lightning to add storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.