Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Charge Issue

I have an Apple Pencil Generation 1 and a 12.9 inch iPad Pro. The Apple Pencil was working fine a week ago, and has only recently began acting up.

Recently it has started taking an unusual time charging, and it is losing charge very quickly. Usually it fully charges within 10 minutes but I left it in for at least 20 and it barely climbed up to 40. I then cleaned the ports, reset it by reconnecting it with Bluetooth. I tried again and it managed to go a bit faster, and then I plugged it into the wire and it still only managed to climb to 81%.

It has been 5 minutes, and it has already dropped to 75% without me using it.

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 4:49 PM

6 replies

Jan 3, 2019 5:10 PM in response to vi036

These pencils have extremely tiny batteries and they don't last long. Chances are the battery has degraded, especially if there have been times you let the battery run completely out of power. It's not highly publicized, but the Apple Pencil should always have at least a 10% charge at all times. You may need a new Pencil. Take it to the Apple Store for evaluation.

Jan 3, 2019 5:18 PM in response to vi036

I totally agree with rbrylawski assessment ( which has been my assessment for quite some time 😉 ).

The Apple Pencil battery maybe on its way to failing.

Apple Pencils are NOT repairable and are only covered for one year under standard, free AppleCare.

It is probably time to just purchase a brand new Apple Pencil.

Sorry.

Apple Pencil Charge Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.