Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 1st gen is not charging

My Apple pencil 1st gen is not charging at all showing 3% battery life when connected. I had charged it for few hours using an ipad pro 2nd gen but pencil still will not charging.

Strangely when I managed to pair the pencil with the pro with the pencil inserted, the charging status jumps from 3% to 100% within minutes but when you remove the pencil, pairing disconnects. When plugged in again it shows 3% again.

Soon I disconnect it's showing not connected in Bluetooth.

This Apple Pencil was never used before and was left in box for some time.

Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 28, 2020 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 9:52 AM

You cannot store Apple Pencils for any prolonged period of time and NOT keep them charged up to some level.

If your Apple Pencil/s sat around unused or unopened and not kept charged up for more than a few weeks, or so, OR

LONGER, then the battery in your Apple Pencil may have failed and is dead and you will have to purchase another

brand new Apple Pencil or get, if still under warranty, a free replacement Pencil from Apple.

Sorry.

And it looks like some things about the Apple Pencil have NOT changed in the new version 2 model, either.

FYI and something Apple will never, EVER divulge to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about,

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-

ion battery ( smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil ), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

Apple only has a one-year warranty on any Apple accessory items.

You need to keep your Apple Pencil charged all the time, even if it is only to 10%-15% charge. It must keep some charge level in that tiny Lithium-ion battery at all times!

One last ditch thing you can try is to plug the Pencil's Lightning connector into the iPad.

Then, try a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

See if the Pencil starts charging then, when it reaches a sufficient charge, like over 15%, or so, or more, disconnect the Pencil and reconnect it to see if it Bluetooth pairs.

If it does pair, try using it.

If still no joy, your Pencil is definitely dead.

Sorry and Best of Luck to You!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 9:52 AM in response to faysal_office_laptop

You cannot store Apple Pencils for any prolonged period of time and NOT keep them charged up to some level.

If your Apple Pencil/s sat around unused or unopened and not kept charged up for more than a few weeks, or so, OR

LONGER, then the battery in your Apple Pencil may have failed and is dead and you will have to purchase another

brand new Apple Pencil or get, if still under warranty, a free replacement Pencil from Apple.

Sorry.

And it looks like some things about the Apple Pencil have NOT changed in the new version 2 model, either.

FYI and something Apple will never, EVER divulge to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about,

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-

ion battery ( smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil ), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

Apple only has a one-year warranty on any Apple accessory items.

You need to keep your Apple Pencil charged all the time, even if it is only to 10%-15% charge. It must keep some charge level in that tiny Lithium-ion battery at all times!

One last ditch thing you can try is to plug the Pencil's Lightning connector into the iPad.

Then, try a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

See if the Pencil starts charging then, when it reaches a sufficient charge, like over 15%, or so, or more, disconnect the Pencil and reconnect it to see if it Bluetooth pairs.

If it does pair, try using it.

If still no joy, your Pencil is definitely dead.

Sorry and Best of Luck to You!

May 28, 2020 10:43 PM in response to MichelPM

I can see my iPad Pro model name in settings is "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)". And yes it had round home button with touch ID.

I have also tested the pencil in a iPad 6th generation and the result were exactly same.

My Pencil is Apple Pencil 1st-Generation. I can confirm that it has a smooth, shiny finish and is completely round, with a silver band and a removable cap (which 2nd gen is not).

And this Pencil actually pair with the iPad but not charging. So soon I take it out it became 'Not connected'.

May 28, 2020 6:48 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think my pencil is dead. Tried hard reset twice without any luck.

After hard-reset of the iPAD I can see that iPencil battery started charging and within a minute or two it reached 100% charge. I noticed one funny things is that every time the battery meter of iPencil goes up in iPAD, in bluetooth connected device list the pencil is fluctuating (not connected for a sec in every 4/5 seconds).

Soon I remove the Pencil from the iPAD it got disconnected and next time when I connect it it shows 3% charge left.

So the pencil is dead even before I started using it.

Thanks for your support.

Apple pencil 1st gen is not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.