Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blurry white cloud on iMac screen

Hi all,

I recently bought a secondhand iMac and am seeing an issue where a 'white cloud' is appearing on the screen after the screen has been on for a bit. I know that it's a physical issue as the 'cloud' is still present when the screen turns off. The affected part of the screen appears blurry when the screen is on, and looks like a white ish cloud when the screen is off (see pic). After about 10 - 20 mins of screen off it starts to fade away and disappears.

Has anyone seen this before/know what this is or have any idea how to resolve?

Thanks,

Rich

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 3:33 AM

4 replies

Jan 4, 2019 2:48 PM in response to rkaufmann87

It's actually a 2011 model so in theory I could take the glass panel off - that said, the issue seems to be gone... For now. I'll flag with the seller and keep an eye on it. Am thinking it may have been caused by the way it was stored (poss. during shipping?). Hopefully the environment it is now going to stay in will stop condensation building like that if that is what it was...

Thanks again.

Rich

Jan 4, 2019 9:11 AM in response to RichCha

No- i haven't seen it before. Is it on the outside or inside of the glass on the front of the imac ? If it's on the inside of the glass, you can maybe, probably get rid of it. If the glass is removable (probably is), you'd need a couple of strong suction cups which you would attach to the front of the glass (aka, the outside) and then carefully remove it, and check the back of the glass for smudges or the lcd panel behind it. \ the pair of cups are $15. I don't know any other place than ifixit that has them, frankly. You'd have to check the model number and then go to ifixit.com which should have some kinda guide for that. Of course if you wanna make an appointment at your local Genius bar and take it down to be looked at, go ahead. the genius bar appointment is free, that much I'm sure of., after that......... My bet is on condensation or some kinda moisture got in there, but I'm no "Apple Expert" or 'iMac expert"

John B

John B

Jan 4, 2019 2:44 PM in response to Johnb-one

Thanks John.

It was behind the glass.

It's been cold here in the UK and I'm wondering whether it has to do with the environment it has been stored in - possibly during shipping. I left the machine off for about 6 or 7 hours and since turning it on and using it again I am not seeing the problem. I'll keep an eye on and take a look on ifixit if it comes back. I'll also flag with the seller.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

Blurry white cloud on iMac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.