Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is tapframe.gz

Keep getting tapframe.gz when trying to look up products at Walmart.com. What is it?

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 6:39 AM

61 replies

Jan 5, 2019 9:24 AM in response to buffyandsneaky

Hazel is a paid preference pane ($32) and one of the best purchases I've made, though your needs may not warrant the expense. I use it for a ton of things.

It's a utility/preference pane that watches for changes in any specified folder. You set conditions that when matched will run one or more actions on the file/folder (e.g., Watch my Download folder for a file named tapframe.gz, when you detect it move it to the trash.)

This link may help as well, https://www.noodlesoft.com/whatsnew/

Hope that helps!

Jan 5, 2019 2:01 PM in response to herbert276

I’m having the same issue so I thought to follow up with it for the fun of it. I downloaded the file to my google drive and half hour tater I got an email from PayPal saying that my account was opened by an Android device. I changed my password and everything after that.

I have not not found a fix for this issue. Only happens to Walmart website though.

Jan 5, 2019 8:20 AM in response to herbert276

It's very frustrating! Every page seems to trigger this download. Opened in BBEdit to reveal the code

<html><body><b>Http/1.1 Service Unavailable</b></body> </html>

For reference, The 503 Service Unavailable error is an HTTP status code that means the website's server is simply not available right now. Most of the time, it occurs because the server is too busy or because there's maintenance being performed on it.

Seems harmless, but annoying. I created a Hazel rule to delete.

Jan 5, 2019 11:42 AM in response to herbert276

I also had this issue this morning, and I believe the short answer is that it was a Walmart.com problem.

This morning I kept getting tapframe.gz automatically downloaded anytime I tried to access anything on Walmart.com. It appeared to be only a Walmart.com problem since any other sites I visited did not have this issue. I did a quick Google search on tapframe.gz and basically only got a reference to this question posted to the community this morning, and some very questionable website that couldn't even spell Walmart right (it was wallmart) that basically wanted you to download a virus scanner on their page (yeah right...) to get rid of the issue.

I contacted Walmart.com support via chat. The first thing they wanted me to do was clear my browser history and restart Safari. I did, and it did not fix the issue. So I contacted Walmart.com support again via chat. This time they wanted me to clear all my cache and cookies in Safari and restart my computer. So I did and also made sure tapframe.gz was removed from my Downloads and trash deleted before I rebooted. Nope that didn't work either.

Contacted Walmart.com support for the 3rd time after doing a little investigation of my own. The problem was isolated to Walmart.com. Appeared to be Safari related (both on my computer and iPhone). Firefox and Google Chrome did not seem to have the same issue when I attempted to access Walmart.com from them. Explained this all again to the Walmart.com service agent via chat. He basically told me it was malware and not a Walmart.com. He even referred me to the very questionable site (which now has mysteriously disappeared) that misspelled walmart and wanted you to download something else to remove tapframe.gz . Thanks but no thanks.

So I tried a few things to see if I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. Nothing obvious unfortunately after about a half an hour or so. In one final attempt I cleared my history, cookies, and cache from Safari. Removed tapframe.gz from the Downloads and emptied the trash. Rebooted. Surprise...issue appears to be gone when I now access Walmart.com both from my computer and my iPhone. I'll theorize that it was an issue with their site and they finally fixed it since I did not do any Safari cleansing on my iPhone and the issue no longer exists when I access it from there either.

Jan 5, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Fishy2706

That didn't work for me. I closed all apps in background. I cleared history from all time within Safari app, then went to settings and cleared all website data. THEN I went into "advanced" and removed all websites manually by swiping left. (They will say 0 bytes, but the fact that they are still there annoyed me. I reopened safari, manually typed Walmart's URL not accepting anything from dropdiwn list, performed a product search and Bam!, immediately it went to redirect me to this tapfrane.gz zip file download. Walmart is stupid for not listening to anyone reporting it. There are too many other stores I can go to. And now will.

what is tapframe.gz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.