Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download files from Safari in iOS

Safari on the Mac handles links to files like .doc, .docx, .pages, .xlsx, .numbers, etc by downloading the files to the Download directory where they can be edited with the appropriate app. PDF's are handled differently in that a previewer for PDF opens up.

Safari on iOS doesn't download the files, but opens and displays them in a rough way.

I have several files on our website which I always want downloaded so the user can edit them. The HTML for this is <a href="name of file" download>click here</a>. This works fine on a Mac, but Safari on iOS still attempts to display them in its rough kind of way.

How can files be downloaded to an iOS device?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 1:37 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 5, 2019 2:04 PM in response to Lawrence Winkler

I think this is possible if you let Safari load the file in its rough way and then tap the Share button with the square and the up-arrow at the bottom-center of the screen. You can choose a list of apps to send the file to (the upper row of app icons), or a list of actions to perform (the lower row of gray icons). In most cases the lower row offers the option to Save to Dropbox, and with the formats you're using I think it also offers the option to Save to Files.

If I'm right, then it can be done, but teaching your users how might take a little coaching. I do not know of a way to have it do that automatically. You could look for a specific app that is designed to download files from a URL copied from the browser.

Download files from Safari in iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.