Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do files "Saved As" from Safari not show up in Finder?

Why do files "Saved As" from Safari not show up in Finder? The only way to later find them is by using the Search tool, and then they do show up in Finder once they've been opened.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 12:05 PM

timclune wrote:

Not in Sage Mode
Bpoted normally and logged in as me, the administrator

Just to be clear:

When you are booted in Safe Mode, the files appear normally; when booted normally into your account, they don't.

Is that correct?

That suggests that something that loads when you are booted normally is causing trouble,

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 12:05 PM in response to timclune

timclune wrote:

Not in Sage Mode
Bpoted normally and logged in as me, the administrator

Just to be clear:

When you are booted in Safe Mode, the files appear normally; when booted normally into your account, they don't.

Is that correct?

That suggests that something that loads when you are booted normally is causing trouble,

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Mar 28, 2022 10:07 AM in response to timclune

You edited an important part out of my post because it refutes previous "solutions" offered as not fixing the problem.

Despite previous answers stating it's an iCloud setup problem, it is not in this case. (my iCloud account is setup and It's very frustrating, and time consuming way to find a file I just saved, and I know where I saved it, but it is invisible to Finder (The Way To Find Files on a Mac)!

Mar 28, 2022 3:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I did not try anything other than:

Normal Boot, my login (admin),Safari, Save As, “NAME” in Downloads folder.

open Finder, “NAME” is not listed in the Downloads folder (or any other iCloud or Mac folder)

If I search for “NAME” from the Mac Search (magnifying glass icon top right Mac menu) then I find it (in the Downloads folder and it opens in Adobe as I saved it as a pdf)

Once opened it then appears in Finder like I expected it should have to begin with.

I have had this issue probably since a recent upgrade.

As for Etrecheck… I have not used it and it’s not in the App Store (so I won’t)

Why do files "Saved As" from Safari not show up in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.