Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

linux for power mac g5

Id like to update the OS in my Power Mac G5. (it is not a Mac Pro)

I have Mac OS Leopard installed just now but want to install Linux again as I have used a few versions successfully for many years. What recent version of Linux would run in my G5 and be easy to install? Im a designer not a software expert. I would be running image editing drawing and video editing applications.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 10:21 AM

Ubuntu is too bloated to run well on PowerPC hardware. It's also not the best Linux IMO anyway. Ubuntu is sort of the Windows of the Linux world. It's more mainstream... but it also comes along with a lot of bloat. It kinda goes against the whole point of running Linux in the first place.

I would say the best Linux option for PowerPC in 2019 is Gentoo. Though it isn't very user friendly. Because you have to compile virtually everything yourself in Gentoo it's a better OS overall for older or less supported hardware. Because you yourself are the support. But anyone with less than moderate Linux ability will be totally lost.

A good balance of things would be Lubuntu PowerPC. User friendly and light. Ubuntu MATE PowerPC also. Yes these are variants of Ubuntu... but much lighter on the hardware. A good starting point to dip your toes in Linux.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2019 10:21 AM in response to beyik_lmd

Ubuntu is too bloated to run well on PowerPC hardware. It's also not the best Linux IMO anyway. Ubuntu is sort of the Windows of the Linux world. It's more mainstream... but it also comes along with a lot of bloat. It kinda goes against the whole point of running Linux in the first place.

I would say the best Linux option for PowerPC in 2019 is Gentoo. Though it isn't very user friendly. Because you have to compile virtually everything yourself in Gentoo it's a better OS overall for older or less supported hardware. Because you yourself are the support. But anyone with less than moderate Linux ability will be totally lost.

A good balance of things would be Lubuntu PowerPC. User friendly and light. Ubuntu MATE PowerPC also. Yes these are variants of Ubuntu... but much lighter on the hardware. A good starting point to dip your toes in Linux.

Jan 6, 2019 9:01 AM in response to beyik_lmd

While there are several builds of 'linux' or unix that could be run in certain Apple environs (hardware)

the names and conditions are detailed enough to consider further and in-depth study prior to being

fully (experimentally) committed to the installation and attempted use of any specific version.

Ubuntu, Debian, Mint PPC, and others offer possibilities; and may require much more command-line

use to access their features than the graphic user interface of Mac OS X (or earlier OS 9).

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+version+for+PPC+Mac+G5+G4&t=ffsb&ia=web

While I've read about these differing systems and how they could be used in Apple architecture

I've not used any of them; but do have a sprinkling of Mac OS from early version 1985 on and

lesser so with 'windows' PC. Not sure, but there are several places to study the topic online and

you may find a good offline book to backup the internet to use with experimental versions.

linux for power mac g5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.