Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with two factor authentication

I have a 1st generation Apple TV and am trying to use it on a new TV. I logged out of my account and also iCloud and re-entered my Apple ID and password using the painful tiny remote and awful on screen keyboard. When I entered the password it displays an OK with a message to enter my password and the code generated on my iPhone. I again go through the painful process of entering my password PLUS the 6 digit code. A message appears that states I have entered the password incorrectly. This is an endless loop! It will NOT allow me to log in!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!! I am desperate!

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 5:18 PM

If you have a small black box then that is a 2nd gen. In order to use 2 factor authentication you need to enter the password and code together, and there is a time limit. In order to not exceed the limit request the code after the password has been entered.

6 replies

Jan 10, 2019 7:14 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks your advice did the trick. This is a 1st generation Apple TV. It's slightly bigger and thiner than the generation 2. I have both generations. So to be clear if your Apple ID password is long and complex in other words secure, 2 Factor Authentication is very difficult to accomplish! Not only is the time out interval too short (About 30 seconds), I also blame it on the tiny and slippery Apple remote and ridiculously sensitive on-screen keyboard. I had to "Practice" speed typing the password plus code generated in the text on my phone like 4 times before getting it right in the time limit Apple allows. I set my phones' screen "Auto Lock" setting to "Never" so when the code appeared I would've to fumble with turning the phone screen on. Everyone recommends you use complex passwords but then their devices don't give you enough time to enter them or you forget them! Very frustrating!

Problems with two factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.