Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot to Windows partition after resizing OSX partition.

Mac Pro 5,1 High Sierra

I can't boot to Windows since trying to resize my Mac partition. I was hoping to shrink my Mac partition and expand my Windows partition and then couldn't boot back into my Windows partition after. Holding option on boot only gives me the Mac partition. I have gdisk just not sure what exactly to do to fix this issue, could someone walk me through it?

Because bootcamp doesn't work on High Sierra I set the default boot disk to Mac and then use the following command shell to boot to Windows:

sudo /usr/sbin/bless --device /dev/disk0s3 --setBoot --legacy --nextonly; sudo reboot

I noticed when I was changing the partition sizing Windows got switched to disk0s4 but went back to disk0s3 after I reverted my changes.

FYI:

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
Password:
Disk: /dev/disk0	geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending
 #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: EE    0   0   2 - 1023 255  63 [         1 - 1953525167] <Unknown ID>
 2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      
 3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      
 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused 

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 9:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, I actually fixed the issue by backing up my Windows partition with WinClone, formatted the partition with Disk Utility, then restored the partition with WinClone. WinClone's final steps is to set up the boot settings so it worked perfectly!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2019 9:44 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the reply, I actually fixed the issue by backing up my Windows partition with WinClone, formatted the partition with Disk Utility, then restored the partition with WinClone. WinClone's final steps is to set up the boot settings so it worked perfectly!

Can't boot to Windows partition after resizing OSX partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.