Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i move a downloaded copy of macos installer onto an external drive from my computer

hi

i have downloaded a copy of macOS installer to my computer from the app store. i am wondering if i can just copy and paste it to a external hard drive for backup purposes and possible future use or will the fill be no good if you just copy and paste

that you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 8:50 AM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2019 9:35 AM in response to rambler64

You're welcome.

I and other users still haven't figured out why Apple started removing your OS purchases. And on top of that, why only the latest ones?

Edit: Oh yeah! That's why. Older versions were tagged with the user account of the person who "purchased" it. So things such as this would happen: You install Yosemite on a Mac and then sell it. The new owner boots to the Recovery partition to reinstall the OS. Uh, oh! They can't because now it asks for the Apple ID and password of the person who installed it.

Apple stopped assigning OS purchases to each user starting with Sierra. If you want to download, or re-download Sierra or higher, you just go to the source. Such as this link for Sierra.

How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

Scroll down to section 4. There's a link to download Sierra, which will open the App Store. It is kind of goofy. You have to follow this link to even get Sierra to appear. Doing a search for Sierra in the App Store gives no result.

Jan 6, 2019 9:12 AM in response to rambler64

Somewhat. Once you've purchased anything on the App Store (free items are also a purchase), they remain in your list of purchased apps.

But, Apple changed how they handle what versions of the Mac OS remain in your list. I still have Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan in my App Store purchases list, but for whatever reason, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave are no longer there.

So yes, I would strongly suggest saving a full installer of any OS Apple releases.

can i move a downloaded copy of macos installer onto an external drive from my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.