Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where's my Spell Checker?

I just migrated my data and apps to a new MacBook Air. I use the iWork suite and note that Pages does not offer suggestions or guesses for misspelled words. It auto-corrects ones as usual, but where there might be multiple suggestions normally, it underlines the word, but says there are no guesses when I right click. I've checked the Spelling & Grammar settings and can see that the suggested words are there, the app isn't offering them from the context menu.

I checked Keynote, and see that its spelling suggestions are working fine; only Pages seem to be affected.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas about a fix?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2019 12:55 PM

Try setting the Edit menu : Spelling and Grammar : Show Spelling and Grammar (⌘:) panel to your explicit language, rather than Automatic by Language. You may wish to do that also for System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Text tab : Spelling selection.

Then, have these sub-menu items selected:

Using the U.S. English Language selection, I can deliberately misspell beehemoth, and it will receive the red dotted underline. When I right-click on this word, the contextual menu offers the correct spelling as the first entry on that menu.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2019 12:55 PM in response to MayaKaath

Try setting the Edit menu : Spelling and Grammar : Show Spelling and Grammar (⌘:) panel to your explicit language, rather than Automatic by Language. You may wish to do that also for System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Text tab : Spelling selection.

Then, have these sub-menu items selected:

Using the U.S. English Language selection, I can deliberately misspell beehemoth, and it will receive the red dotted underline. When I right-click on this word, the contextual menu offers the correct spelling as the first entry on that menu.

Where's my Spell Checker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.