How to Get My Mac to Learn Spellings

MacBook Air, Apple M2, 16 GB.

I rely on speech to text and there are words I use all the time which the dictionary always spells incorrectly. There are no options in the drop-down menu, when I click on that word, to change the spelling. When I looked in help all that came up was a suggestion to change spelling in a contact card if it was a name. I tried that with one of the words it always misspells, inventing a contact with that word as its name. Didn't work!

Also found: Add and remove words from the spelling dictionary

• Add a word: Control-click the word in your document, then choose Learn Spelling in the shortcut menu. The word is added to the macOS dictionary used by Pages and other apps.

There is no Learn Spelling choice in the shortcut menu.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 7:01 PM

Hi, MaelBrigde, can't offer you much in the way of help, just this link for VoiceOver to correct misspelled words on Mac:Use VoiceOver to correct misspelled words on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

you'll have to ask someone else for help, because I have nothing more to say

John B

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 30, 2023 4:46 AM in response to MaelBrigde

I think learning is continuous; not a standalone option. As you use the service ... it learns.

My experience, and that of my wife, kids and grandkids, is voice recognition is just not cracked up to what the hype suggests. Too many voice variations, dialects, thick tongues and such.

It's become pretty mundane now days, but in the beginning of Siri and others, errors were the subjects of comedians, "the Big Bang Theory" and numerous online comments. Still are of you look hard enough.

How to Get My Mac to Learn Spellings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.