Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unpaired locked apple watch

I forgot my Apple Watch passcode and unpaired it now it is permanently stuck on the passcode screen. I researched and tried this method:

• Connect your watch to its charging cable, with power connected.
  • Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.
  • Press firmly on Power Off (do not try to slide it - just press down more firmly than a normal tap) and then tap on Erase all content and settings.
  • Re-pair your watch using the Watch app on your iPhone, choosing to Restore from Backup if offered the option.

However, when I hold down the side button it doesn’t give me the slide option, it just shuts off.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 9:11 AM

Greetings, ArianaB055.

I see that you're unable to reset your Apple Watch after forgetting the passcode. When you firmly press on the Power Off slider, the Apple Watch simply turns off. I'm happy to help.

If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode -- After firmly pressing the Power Off slider, lift your finger to see the menu.

"Use your Apple Watch

If you don't have your paired iPhone, you can still remove the passcode from your Apple Watch.

1. Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
  2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
  3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger. 
  4. Tap Erase all content and settings.
  5. Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup."

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2019 9:11 AM in response to ArianaB055

Greetings, ArianaB055.

I see that you're unable to reset your Apple Watch after forgetting the passcode. When you firmly press on the Power Off slider, the Apple Watch simply turns off. I'm happy to help.

If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode -- After firmly pressing the Power Off slider, lift your finger to see the menu.

"Use your Apple Watch

If you don't have your paired iPhone, you can still remove the passcode from your Apple Watch.

1. Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
  2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
  3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger. 
  4. Tap Erase all content and settings.
  5. Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup."

Take care!

Feb 11, 2019 10:02 PM in response to ArianaB055

Every place I’ve seen these instructions is missing one important step. I figured it it through experimenting. The watch needs to be in the charger but it needs to be held in the standard, portrait direction as if it were on your arm. If it is showing the clock sideways, the power off button will not display. The clock needs to be in portrait mode to get the slider to appear. Once that happens, you will get the prompts as suggested in the steps.

this was tested with an Apple Watch 4.

Unpaired locked apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.