Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro randomly shuts off

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) is shutting off randomly. It specs are:

Processor 2.5GHz

Memory 16GB

Storage 512GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Its former macOS was El Capitan and was updated to Mojave (full format installation), a month after the update it started with the problem.

A collage of mine with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M; is having the same issue.

I installed again El Capitan and the problem is still happening, I took my computer to a authorized repair center in my country (Colombia) and they have no clue of what is going on, seems to be that they asked to apple what could be the problem and the suggestion is to try to replace both the SSD and the mother board but they I don't have any units to "try" those solutions so I must pay for the parts without knowing if it's the right solution.

Finally, what I did was to create a Ubuntu bootable usb 18.04 and have been using the computer for the last 44 hours playing videos on youtube and hasn't fail.

Any suggestion is pretty much appreciated

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 9, 2019 11:29 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 24, 2019 12:28 PM in response to CamiloLeon

Same problem here, and many other people are also experiencing the shutdowns/restarts/kernel panics. There are many posts in this forum showing evidence that Mojave is responsible for this. I have 10.14.2 and the problem is present. I do not want to upgrade to the recently released 10.14.3 because I no longer trust this system's stability, and will wait and see what the reports are after some use. Nevertheless, I am a bit worried that when you went back to El Capitan, the problems carried over to a system that did not have these symptoms previously. Could it be possible that Mojave did something to actually damage hardware? I was not aware of this possibility. The second time I installed Mojave, I did so after completely wiping my SSD and started from scratch. Problem persists. I hope that this critical bug can be fixed via software, but so far and judging from these forums, Apple's acknowledgment, response or reaction has been non existent. Do read some of the other posts here and at least feel a bit better knowing that you are not alone. Cheers.

Jan 24, 2019 12:41 PM in response to DJDL7

based on what bala_ucl sent me I could use my computer again, so the bug definitively damaged the hardware. The problem now is to know where is the damage and if it is possible to be fixed without having to pay for a logic board change.

I was very confused that I could use my computer without letting it rest for more than 4 days in windows and had no problems but when I had to use macOS it turned off after a minute.

Try to do what the link of bala_ucl suggests. At least the computer is working and I tested the thunderbolt with my external screen and is working. I you do so, please keep in mind that any update will "enable" so you will have to do the same as the post suggest.

Sincerely,

Macbook pro randomly shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.