MacBook Pro randomly shuts down.

I am the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 2014 15", but i recently started getting an issue where it shuts down randomly.

This problem started about 1 and a half week ago on macOS 11.7.4

When I "ask" the terminal is gives me "recent shutdown cause error code -128".

This happens when I'm using battery as well as when using AC power.

I've tried a number of things:

1. Resetting the SMC as wel as the PRAM. (Ctrl + Option + Shift + Power / Option + Command + P + R)
  2. Reinstalling macOS. (2 times 11.6.8 and 2 times 11.7.4)
  3. Using the Mac in "Safe Boot". (Shift on boot)
  4. Replaced the battery. (was over 1425 cycles anyway)
  5. Hardware test, nothing showed up. (Command + D on boot)
  6. I tried to delete appleThunderboltNHI.kext. (was back every time/not sure it worked)
  7. Installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. (no problems)

Meanwhile i installed macOS 11.6.8 on 2 MacBooks using a usb.

The problem is only on one device so it also isn't the installer-usb.

I now have installed Mavericks (original to this device) to see if that works. (to be continued...)

It also doesn't happen when it's on screensaver. (I left it for 2 nights and it stayed on)

Apple support tells me it's a hardware issue but I found it weird that Ubuntu works then.

I'm hoping one of you guys may be able to help me to at least tell me what the issue is.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 7:52 AM

So I have a Macbook Pro 2023, that for 1 year, just randomly shuts down and restarts on its own. No error message, and according to the genius bar, has no record that this is happening, Like I'm lying or something! BS!!!! Why the heck would I waste my time coming in, calling and chatting about a problem that doesn't exist! I cant believe this. I am a loyal Apple using and have all Apple products, you name it I have it and now this BS. I am just wondering if anyone else is having a issues like this! I need help because I am a therapist working remote and it isn't good to have your session interrupted by your computer shutting down!!! So what does Apple plan to do??? Who knows ...maybe if some other people share if they are having the same issue then they will believe thatI am just just wasted my time with calling, going to the Apple store and chatting for a made up problem!!! Come on people...

Similar questions

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2024 7:52 AM in response to QuintenDH

So I have a Macbook Pro 2023, that for 1 year, just randomly shuts down and restarts on its own. No error message, and according to the genius bar, has no record that this is happening, Like I'm lying or something! BS!!!! Why the heck would I waste my time coming in, calling and chatting about a problem that doesn't exist! I cant believe this. I am a loyal Apple using and have all Apple products, you name it I have it and now this BS. I am just wondering if anyone else is having a issues like this! I need help because I am a therapist working remote and it isn't good to have your session interrupted by your computer shutting down!!! So what does Apple plan to do??? Who knows ...maybe if some other people share if they are having the same issue then they will believe thatI am just just wasted my time with calling, going to the Apple store and chatting for a made up problem!!! Come on people...

Mar 21, 2023 2:08 PM in response to QuintenDH

Hello,

I also have the same year/model MacBook Pro 2014 15" and starting about a week ago my laptop began to shut off out of the blue! HIGHLY FRUSTRATING. It happens with full battery, while plugged in, and seemed to begin after some form of automatic nightly update a week ago.

I've kept this macbook pro in excellent condition and do not want to purchase a new laptop.

The fact that someone else with the same make/model is experiencing the same issue beginning about the same time tells me that it's a software issue (or Apple is trying to force us to purchase a newer model).

What can we do to resolve this? Please help!

Version: 11.7.4

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Machintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Apr 28, 2023 4:58 AM in response to jalapengo

This is happening to me as well and I’m furious! I get it out laptops are old but mine is in great condition as well and was running perfectly till I downloaded big sur 11.7.4. This is no coincidence at all. I also don’t have the money to shell out for a new MacBook Pro right now. I would like to resolve this issue as well. Nothing is working.

Jan 23, 2024 1:32 PM in response to turnedwand

Update: did not replace SSD but did disassemble and clean for first time in a while. I wasn’t hearing the fans spin up that much but did notice the laptop would get kinda hot. Sometimes they would turn on but not usually. I sprayed out a bunch of dust that was all over and also inside the fan assemblies. It was kind of a lot. I think the process of disconnecting the battery, spraying out all the dust from the fans, and also replacing the thermal paste (which I did because I was already in there so I figured why not), has seemingly resolved the issue. Computer gets much less hot and hasn’t shut off like it was doing. I also noticed where the SSD would go if I were to replace it and it would be super easy. Easier than taking apart the fans or replacing the thermal paste. I didn’t have an appropriate SSD lying around so I didn’t switch that.

I think the computer was getting hot and trying to start the fans but was getting resistance due to dust and so the fans sent back a signal saying “hey we can’t do our job so turn off before you damage us.”

Dec 20, 2023 4:14 AM in response to QuintenDH

Hello Everyone,

I see that there are still people reporting the same issue in this thread.

For those who still have the problem to this day, i’ve posted the solution in my case on March 22th this year.

My macbook still haven’t had the problem since i swapped the SSD. (for 9 months now)

This means that it definetly is a NAND issue.

I don’t know for sure that it saves all macbooks with this problem or if it specificly has to be an Apple SSD, but if you have the shutdown problem with code -128 i’d definetly try replacing the SSD first because the solderd RAM isn’t going anywhere and the motherboards are more expensive then the same machine second hand.

If anyone still has questions i’d love to hear it.

Greetings , Quinten

Mar 22, 2023 12:50 AM in response to jalapengo

Hello Everyone,

I promised to keep you guys updated so here is the update:

Because my 2014 Macbook had issues and i still had work left to do i bought another Macbook this time from 2015.

One moment i was working and i thougd, SSD's have NAND modules to, so i went online and found one thread on ifixit forum with the same issue but they blamed the SSD.

I've tried pretty much everything till this point and now had another Macbook so i figgured "heck, how many times do you live".

I swapped the SSD's between the two Macbook's and guess what, no issue on any of the two for allmost a week.

So i still can't tell if it is the SSD or motherboard cause nothing broke down ever since.

I allso thougd "maby the installation must happen on the 2015 modal" but no, even when installing macOS on the 2015 modal and then putting the SSD back in the 2014 modal, it gave up on me again within 30 minutes.

So now i have 2 working Macbooks with "incompatible" SSD's cause the 2015 SSD didn't exist when the 2014 Macbook was released.

The only downside is that none is at full speed now, one has a limmited bus and the other has a limmited SSD, but since macOS is so fast anyways i cant tell the difference in speed so i dont give a [user friendly content].

If you're experiensing the same issue, try a different SSD before you start expensive repairs.

Most of the time you can return an SSD if it didn't solve the issue anyways, if not Ebay is your best friend.

I hope you guys are all well informed now.

If any of you guys have questions, feel free to contact again.

Jan 22, 2024 7:33 AM in response to QuintenDH

I'm having the same issue with the same MacBook, 15". Radeon 560x 4gb Graphics, 32 GB 2400 MHZ with updated Sonoma 14.2.1 IOS. It shuts down for about 30 minutes and then reboots itself, almost like it's reloading a new OS but that's not the case. Another person on this chain mentioned heat being a possible culprit. I did notice that the Mac was pretty hot just after it shut down. This has happened three times since mid-December, 2023.

Mockman

Dec 9, 2023 12:17 PM in response to QuintenDH

Big Sur 11.7 here on a mid 2014 15” MBP.

11.10 is available… at this age updating usually means downward performance though right?

Computer battery has been dwindling and it’s about time to replace the machine. I was hoping to get the 2023 M2 Max but now the M3s are out and at the store it seemed like the hinges on these newest ones aren’t as good as the ones from earlier this year. That could be just the couple I tried or some other thing. Anyways, till soon when I upgrade I need this machine to keep chugging. But lately it’s been shutting down either when I shut it to sleep it or just randomly while watching YouTube with maybe Notes and Messages open in the background.

MacBook Pro randomly shuts down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.