Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave: HUGE battery drain during sleep

I have 3 laptops: Macbook Air 2015, Macbook Air 2018, Macbook Pro 2015.

Both Macbook air 2015 and 2018 have Mojave updated to the latest version, the Macbook Pro has High Sierra.

If I full charge them and let them sleep over the night, in the morning I have:

Macbook Air 2015: 12-15% of battery gone

Macbook Air 2018: 5-10 % of battery gone

Macbook Pro 2015: 0% of battery gone

So, it's clear that the problem was introduced by Mojave.

I tried everything: SMC reset, NVRAM reset, clean install of Mojave, disabled useless background services. NOTHING.

The only thing that has worked was the "hibernatemode 25" setting. BUT that's just an "expedient", not a solution.

I want to have back the possibility to let the mac sleep for one week and having almost the same battery charge when i use it again, like it should be for a 1500 € laptop.

Does anyoner if Apple is aware of this problem?

I don't want to use

sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0

sudo pmset hibernatemode 25

because it's not how it should work.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 1:12 AM

I tried most of those steps, but the problem is that I'm not the only one who noticed it, a great % of users that updated to mojave have this issue and seems that Mojave is the reason

I went to genius bar and they said: "everything is normal".

No it's not, because the laptop now loses 15% of charge over the night.

Similar questions

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2019 1:12 AM in response to Rob_Calder

I tried most of those steps, but the problem is that I'm not the only one who noticed it, a great % of users that updated to mojave have this issue and seems that Mojave is the reason

I went to genius bar and they said: "everything is normal".

No it's not, because the laptop now loses 15% of charge over the night.

Jun 12, 2019 7:54 AM in response to Ciccilleju

After purchasing 4 brand new Macbook Air 2018 laptops in a row with the identical battery drain issues I think anyone on this planet would conclude there is an over-arching product defect happening here. Look at all these people with the same issue (and all the "fixes" recommended):

Do you feel like battery life has worsened since updating a Mac laptop to MacOS Mojave? Some Mac users have discovered their battery life has reduced after updating a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air to MacOS Mojave 10.14.x, or just that battery life seems to drain faster than expected. If you notice your Mac’s battery draining faster after updating to macOS Mojave, you’re not alone. Some users have reported battery drain issues — some significant — after updating to the new operating system. I pre-ordered the 2018 Mac Book air. Out of the box, I've been experiencing poor battery life. I'm getting about 6 hour battery life.

To fully charge, my charging estimate is typically 3hrs. On one evening while on sleep, my battery completely drained. Today, I started my morning with 60% battery, I've used for a little over an hour and I'm at 13%. Any one experiencing this issue? Any suggestions?

I have 3 laptops: Macbook Air 2015, Macbook Air 2018, Macbook Pro 2015. Both Macbook air 2015 and 2018 have Mojave updated to the latest version, the Macbook Pro has High Sierra.If I full charge them and let them sleep over the night, in the morning I have: Macbook Air 2015: 12-15% of battery gone Macbook Air 2018: 5-10 % of battery gone Macbook Pro 2015: 0% of battery gone

So, it's clear that the problem was introduced by Mojave. I tried everything: SMC reset, NVRAM reset, clean install of Mojave, disabled useless background services. NOTHING. The only thing that has worked was the "hibernatemode 25" setting. BUT that's just an "expedient", not a solution. I want to have back the possibility to let the mac sleep for one week and having almost thesame battery charge when i use it again, like it should be for a 1500 € laptop. Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this problem?

After a month and 20+ hours of troubleshooting 4 new laptops, Apple's solution for a defective new product is to send it in for "repairs."  Meaning I'd have to sit around for up to a month without a working laptop, while I get repairs done on a brand new product.  I'm sorry but that makes no sense. A customer should be able to get a brand new product that works as advertised, end of story.  No months of troubleshooting, purchasing laptop after laptop after laptop in the desperate hope of getting one that actually works.  I worked more than long enough in good faith with Apple trying to get this rectified.  I was faced with an endless litany of the same exact troubleshooting efforts, none of which worked.  I should never have had to sit down like this for a brand new Macbook.  Not once, let alone 4 times.

I know Apple has clients who purchase $13,000 systems plus $999 monitor stands.  I'm just a measly $1,300 customer, what's that to Apple if I'm frustrated and depressed and unable to work properly after buying 4 brand new Macbooks?

I cannot sit through any more hours of troubleshooting.  I am going to limp along with this defective product in the hopes that Apple will fix Mojave.  I am also researching PCs to see which laptop would be the best one.  I've always been afraid to get a PC but if Apple products and service are what I've experienced over the past month, it's not worth it any more.  I might as well have purchased a $700 Dell for this performance (actually I think Dell has better performance).

To summarize, all 4 laptops I purchased, brand new, from Apple:

1) Have a 4 hour battery life.  No gaming, no heavy apps, nothing to explain the drain.

2) Stress under normal usage -- fan starts to go just when browsing Facebook, or having 2 browsers open.

3) Heat up significantly when browsing with the plug in, or when multiple windows in a browser are open.

Note, NONE of the above occurs even with my five year old Macbook.  My 2014 Macbook Air currently outperforms my brand new 2018 Macbook Air.

I've hit a dead end.  I don't know what else there is to do. 

Jun 22, 2019 1:50 PM in response to Ciccilleju

The timing of the Battery Recall Program for 15-inch MacBook Pro's is great! I was getting worried about the lifetime of the battery because of this sleep issue. And it was getting very hot at times too. For example in my backpack when it should have been sleeping! Will return mine on Monday for the battery replacement.

It's not for all MacBook Pro's, but my mid 2015 model is eligible:

https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

Jan 10, 2019 1:09 AM in response to Ciccilleju

Try the following steps, checking after each step:

• Disable Power nap
  • Try connecting to other known-good wi-fi networks
  • Sign out of iCloud
  • Disable all sharing services in System Preferences > Sharing
  • Disable automatic Time Machine backup
  • Disable wi-fi
  • Disable bluetooth
  • Disconnect all peripherals
  • Remove all internet accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

If the issue persists after doing all the above then contact Apple Support so they can investigate further for you

Jan 22, 2019 5:52 AM in response to Ciccilleju

Same on my end.

Battery of new Mac Book Air 2018 is draining 5-10% overnight.

Observed right from beginning.

Logging Timestamps since Dec 17th now. Absolutely no improvement on draining issues. Every night 5-10% battery drain.

Apple Support contacted and they told me to go to Genius Bar - but in Munich I am not able to get any free slot at Apple since weeks. That is really a annoying support for a 1.500 €/$ device ...

Jan 22, 2019 6:05 AM in response to Soulbruder

Save the trouble of going to a genius bar... I was there and nothing changed: they told me to do a clean installation of Mojave, which I had already done before. At the end after 1 hour they told me "In our opinion your machine is perfectly fine, it's normal that it uses battery while sleeping".

Yeah, sure... suddenly we went from 1% per day to 15% in 12 hours and we all in the forums understand nothing...yeah, sure Apple, like you say.

Feb 2, 2019 1:56 PM in response to Ciccilleju

Okay ... I watched the issue a bit longer and I searched a lot of newsgroup all across the internet.

I also scanned my powerlog and saw that the machine regularly wakes and does quite a lot where after every wake the battery percentage goes down about 2% (sometimes even 4%). I decided to set the hibernate mode to 25 via pmset command and now the battery loss is much much lower. For me a valuable change that extends battery life to a longer time.

For me it works now much better although it is not perfect ... I still received no help from Apple on this and helped myself with this workaround ... not perfect, but better.

Feb 15, 2019 4:41 AM in response to Ciccilleju

I've got the same problem.

Since I clean updated from Yosemite to Mojave, battery loses about 5% during night. This doesn't happen always, at times there is no battery drain at all. Other times I lost about 20% in an hour of sleep. Deactivating WIFI and bluetooth doesn't solve the problem.

Also the media keys (play/pause, next, previous) don't work anymore since the update if I'm playing music via bluetooth. Furthermore, the iTunes player in the sidebar doesn't function properly any longer.

I feel like Apple isn't testing its software updates thoroughly enough before releasing them.

It doesn't look like they invest much time into taking care that everything works on older models, too (MacBook 13" mid 2014 in my case).

Feb 24, 2019 10:18 AM in response to Ciccilleju

I landed on this thread because I was trouble shooting a 10% per hour battery drain during sleep on a Macbook Air running Sierra. I did all the usual things with smc reset and safeboot but had to dig deeper.

My first comment is that if the hibernate 25 setting stops the drain it might suggest that there is a fault in the RAM: the difference between hibernate 25 and the default hibernate 3 is that the RAM is kept powered in 3. It might therefore be worth running the Apple hardware test.

My second suggestion is to close the lid to send the computer to sleep and wait a couple of hours. Then open terminal and type

pmset -g log

It will tell you if there is a significant interruption to the sleep mode such as a bluetooth device waking the computer or network activity. BTW, you should check the rate of drain after turning off bluetooth, wifi and unplugging all peripherals.

Feb 24, 2019 5:03 PM in response to Ciccilleju

I'm also have this exact same problem.

Contacted apple support twice, and after all the usual resets I waited for 3 days to test the procedures and nothing has changed.

Left laptop last night with 100% charge, disconnected the power and put it to sleep. Woke up this morning with 65% charge.

Contacted apple support again and after a bunch of nonsense standard procedures, they are pushing for me to send my laptop for a service centre (at a cost) as they have "diagnosed" out of nowhere that there's a hardware problem with my MacBook pro.

Useless trying to explain that this was not happening last week whilst still running on High Sierra, and for the record has never happened at all.

Apple is refusing to look into this problem even with all the complains al over the internet.

Mar 6, 2019 10:58 PM in response to jkpdx

I landed in the similar thread on reddit yesterday and there was a suggestion to turn the wifi off before closing the lid.

Previously, my 2017 MBA could loose 10-15% of battery overnight.

So this night I tested turning off the wifi and bluetooth before closing the laptop.

In the morning I've got 100% battery left on the laptop.

I find this a bit more helpful than changing the hybernate mode settings, as I may leave the MBA charging overnight and don't care about the battery too much, and turn off the witeless modules when I'll need to save power while traveling.

Hope Apple guys will find the fix for this issue soon, as it's not a good behaviuor of the latest OS version..

Mar 19, 2019 4:56 AM in response to Ciccilleju

No one at Apple will admit to this problem. I just upgraded my 2017 MacBook air to Mojave and battery drain makes it impossible to use it for more than four hours. Same with a brand new MacBook. Some people will try to blame Chrome and other software but even using just Firefox browser and eliminating Chrome related stuff, Mojave drains the battery. As usual Apple will keep mum and eventually provide a solution I guess. Don't expect a straight answer. Apple is perfect so it must be fault of other programs or our fault!

Mar 19, 2019 5:40 AM in response to nishendu

This discussion is about battery drain during sleep. If I could use my machine for 4 hours, I would not complain. Sometime I can only get an hour out of it. It all depends what you are doing.

If you go to Activity monitor one of the tabs will tell you which apps are using energy. On this web site Safari uses 1% energy but on other with all the adverts flashing and rolling it uses a huge amount of power.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.