Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why have my home movies lost their audio?

I've created many videos of my grandchildren over the years and have noticed recently that when I try to view them on my Macbook, they first convert to a .mov format. The audio is lost during the conversion. What should I do to recover them for longevity?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 4:10 AM

Possibly Apple’s default conversion routine has issue with the audio as used in the source file.

What is the format of the old home videos (before conversion)?

Which video codec was used? Which audio code was used?

The answers may help suggesting an alternative player or proper conversion tool.

Try playing the videos in VLC. Use its Media Information window to get codec details.

Or use an inspection tool like VideoSpec or MediaInfo.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2019 4:10 AM in response to prthompson

Possibly Apple’s default conversion routine has issue with the audio as used in the source file.

What is the format of the old home videos (before conversion)?

Which video codec was used? Which audio code was used?

The answers may help suggesting an alternative player or proper conversion tool.

Try playing the videos in VLC. Use its Media Information window to get codec details.

Or use an inspection tool like VideoSpec or MediaInfo.

Jan 18, 2019 4:58 AM in response to Urquhart1244

The very old movies were first on reel to reel tape, then converted to a VCR tape, and then to a .VOB format. The more recent videos were in compatible Quicktime formats and .MOV. I wonder if they were corrupted when Apple tried to automatically converted them to .MOV format?

Thank you for your response. I have put all my affected videos into a "NO SOUND" folder until something comes up that can play them

Jan 20, 2019 2:50 PM in response to prthompson

I do recommend that you try alternative video player software for the files that QuickTimePlayer won’t play (correctly).

VLC is a very versatile player, for both old and new video files.

The automatic conversions by QuickTime do not corrupt the source files, as the conversion is a new unsaved temporary file, waiting to be saved as a new file. The source file stays intact, unless you delete it or overwrite it.

VOB files are usually in DVD-Video format. Nothing wrong with that. Just not supported by QuickTime Player 10.

Why have my home movies lost their audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.