Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image attachements sent to microsoft exchange email addresses do not come through

Whenever I send an image to someone through Mac Mail, and this person's email address is through a Microsoft Exchange Server (like many colleges and universities), they always respond that there is no attachment. Yet, *I* see the attachment in the thread just fine. If I re-send the image as a PDF, everything is perfect. More info: YES, I have chosen to put attachments at the end of the message and YES I chose to use windows-friendly attachments.

This is really quite annoying, and it doesn't matter which account I send from -- be it Gmail, an exchange account, or another. When someone using outlook gets my email and the attachment is an image (jpg, tif, png, whatever) they do not see it. But if I test and send to myself (I've several exchange accounts) and check on web-based email, everything is fine. So I think there's something with Outlook, but it has to directly do with Mac Mail's sending of the attachement. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 4:18 PM

Exchange is probably the worst email server with respect to actual email. It was designed for only handling internal emails generated on its own system, then "internet email," as they term it, was cobbled onto it.

Outlook has a very poor performance when handling non-exchange email. Outlook on Windows even has difficulty with emails generated on Outlook for Mac.

Apple Mail generates internet standard compliant emails. Outlook just doesn't display them properly.

Exchange servers can be configured to delete or hide attachments that could possibly compromise the network (on a Windows network that is just about any file at all). Apple Mail "tags" attachments with the completely standards compliant "inline" directive. It may be that those servers are configured to block (delete) any inline attachment.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2019 4:18 PM in response to tykockin

Exchange is probably the worst email server with respect to actual email. It was designed for only handling internal emails generated on its own system, then "internet email," as they term it, was cobbled onto it.

Outlook has a very poor performance when handling non-exchange email. Outlook on Windows even has difficulty with emails generated on Outlook for Mac.

Apple Mail generates internet standard compliant emails. Outlook just doesn't display them properly.

Exchange servers can be configured to delete or hide attachments that could possibly compromise the network (on a Windows network that is just about any file at all). Apple Mail "tags" attachments with the completely standards compliant "inline" directive. It may be that those servers are configured to block (delete) any inline attachment.

Jan 13, 2019 11:59 AM in response to tykockin

Hello tykockin,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've been running into issues sending attachments in Mail.

You've done some good testing to help narrow things down. To clarify, is this happening with a specific recipient, or all recipients that use Outlook? Also, it sounds like you're able to send attachments from Mail to other types of accounts, like Gmail; is that right?

Which macOS version are you using? You can check by clicking Apple menu () > About This Mac. If you're not running the latest macOS version, you might consider updating: Back up your Mac with Time Machine and How to update the software on your Mac.

You might also test this in a temporary administrator account on your Mac. Creating a new user and testing there will tell you more about the issue, and helps determine if it's system-wide or user account-specific. There are other factors to consider with an issue like this, but the test user would help narrow things down on the Mac end: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Hopefully the information above helps you.

Kind regards.

Jan 13, 2019 12:26 PM in response to tykockin

Hi

that is an interesting problem.

I did the test with what I have and I used my Gmail and send attachment.jpg to my Outlook, and arrived back on my Mac as image in the Outlook account on my mac mail.

To clarify, my Outlook is just online outlook account at https://outlook.live.com/mail/, and I have it also in my Mac mail.

Does this help or did I miss it.

At least it looks like the mac mail is working.

Jan 14, 2019 5:03 AM in response to Ruskes

To test, you would need to set up outlook on your computer, send an email from Mac mail, and then receive it to Outlook. It doesnt matter what type of account it was sent from; it seems that an Exchange account running Outlook gets all messed up. It actually gets messed up when the image returns to Mac Mail, too...the emails I get back have the attachement there (even though the person said it wasn't), but the name has been changed to image001.jpg or whatever the suffix is. The strangest thing about this whole mess is that it's ONLY images. Everything else sends just fine. This has been going on for at least 2 years -- my work-around has been to send everything as PDF. I just got fed up and posted here finally.

Jan 14, 2019 5:06 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks! Sounds like this diagnoses the issue; but is there a way to fix it? I REALLY don't want to switch to Outlook...I manage too many email addresses to do this effectively, and the integration across devices of Mac Mail makes it the way to go. Oh, and some doofus at my institution has decided that Outlook app for iPhone is a security risk and it is blocked, so I can't switch to Outlook on all devices even if I wanted to.

Image attachements sent to microsoft exchange email addresses do not come through

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.