Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove duplicate photos

How do I remove duplicate photos?

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 2:27 PM

Hi DGTPLM!

Thanks for reaching out in the Apple Support Communities. If I'm understanding your post, you're looking for a way to remove duplicate photos from the Photos app on your Mac. If that is correct, the best way to do this is manually within the Photos app. You may find some third-party apps which claim to remove the duplicates. These apps can damage your Photos Library or delete photos you want to keep. You can read more here: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library.

Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2019 2:27 PM in response to DGTPLM

Hi DGTPLM!

Thanks for reaching out in the Apple Support Communities. If I'm understanding your post, you're looking for a way to remove duplicate photos from the Photos app on your Mac. If that is correct, the best way to do this is manually within the Photos app. You may find some third-party apps which claim to remove the duplicates. These apps can damage your Photos Library or delete photos you want to keep. You can read more here: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library.

Have a great day!

Jan 13, 2019 4:00 PM in response to DGTPLM

You want an app to identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by yourself. I've run tests on the following apps with these results:

• PowerPhotos- $29.95 - detected duplicate .mov, .mp4 and .avi files.
  • Duplicate Annihilator for Photos - $7.95 - - detected duplicate .mov, .mp4 and .avi files.
  • PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available - can detect .mov, .mp4, .avi and other video formats. Compares histograms/bitmaps and can detect duplicates that are different sizes or with different file names.

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others, is a very powerful Photos library browser, and will have added capability in the future.

how to remove duplicate photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.