Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate photos

how can i delete duplicate photos?

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 8:32 PM

At the moment, you will either do this manually (you check each photo), or use a third-party application. When the new Apple operating systems get released this September, a built-in feature on Photos will identify those duplicate photos.

2 replies

Jul 31, 2022 9:58 AM in response to miketheman1963

You want an app that will identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by you. You don't want one that does the deletion itself for obvious reasons. 

I've run tests on the these two apps with the following results and found them to be safe to use:

PowerPhotos - $29.95  

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos, both original and edited versions, along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different file sizes, file names, image sizes and capture dates.

duplicate photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.