Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete duplicate photos?

How to delete the duplicate photos in Photos app?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 5:57 PM

On macOS 13 Ventura you can let the Photos.app merge duplicates, see: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support (BH)

"You can easily remove duplicate photos and videos from your library. Duplicates appear automatically in the Duplicates album in the sidebar. 

• In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Duplicates in the sidebar.
    • Select the duplicates you want to merge.

• Click Merge [number] Duplicates. 
    • One original source photo or video appears where the duplicates were located."

If the photos are having different metadata - titles, descriptions, keyword, I would not use the "Merge" option, but do it like Barney described and merge the metadata myself into the photo I want to keep and then delete the other one manually.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 5:57 PM in response to elmerfromlanham

On macOS 13 Ventura you can let the Photos.app merge duplicates, see: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support (BH)

"You can easily remove duplicate photos and videos from your library. Duplicates appear automatically in the Duplicates album in the sidebar. 

• In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Duplicates in the sidebar.
    • Select the duplicates you want to merge.

• Click Merge [number] Duplicates. 
    • One original source photo or video appears where the duplicates were located."

If the photos are having different metadata - titles, descriptions, keyword, I would not use the "Merge" option, but do it like Barney described and merge the metadata myself into the photo I want to keep and then delete the other one manually.

How to delete duplicate photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.