Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (late 2016) display issue: spotlights at bottom of screen and dark screen when lid opened >90 degrees

I am not the first person to experience this from my research, but my MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar that I purchased in December 2016 started having display issues in the fall of 2018 (shortly after my MacBook's warranty ran out). First, there was the "spotlight" effect along the bottom edge of the screen with an alternating pattern of fully lit and dimly lit sections of the screen. Now, a few months later, my screen will go completely dark if I open the lid father than 90 degrees (perfectly upright and perpendicular to the keyboard). Apple gave me a quote of $475+tax to replace the lid. Is anyone else having this issue? Do you know why Apple hasn't issued a recall?

Macbook (2016 or later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 3:17 PM

Your post must of gotten deleted by the PTB— but I appreciate your reply and was received with open arms.

This is a user to user forum with oversight by Apple, they must not of liked the hotlink to change .org

from the comments feedback:

" I had to escalate the issue to customer relation to get my display fixed for free"

What I can say if in the future a recall is issued, or an extended repair program offered for your issue, typically out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2019 3:17 PM in response to jpz1

Your post must of gotten deleted by the PTB— but I appreciate your reply and was received with open arms.

This is a user to user forum with oversight by Apple, they must not of liked the hotlink to change .org

from the comments feedback:

" I had to escalate the issue to customer relation to get my display fixed for free"

What I can say if in the future a recall is issued, or an extended repair program offered for your issue, typically out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.

MacBook Pro (late 2016) display issue: spotlights at bottom of screen and dark screen when lid opened >90 degrees

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.