Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text is gray instead of black

I see that some of these posts go all the way back to 2013. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem yet?

Even if I choose the Hex color 00000 (which is true black), the text is still gray on all my documents and web pages (other than any black that's built into the design of the page). This is driving me crazy and damaging my eyesight. I've had my optical prescription changed twice in the last 18 months.

I've tried all the fixes. I'm viewing my screen at 110 - 125 percent just to make the fonts look darker, but of course it distorts everything else.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 3:15 PM

Try this .css file with Safari:

Put it in a text file and name the file anything you'd like, XXXX.css. In Safari's Advanced preference pane select it under the Style sheet menu. You can try tweaking it to your liking. I may have more code in it that is necessary but didn't care to test each entry.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 3:15 PM in response to terridan

Try this .css file with Safari:

Put it in a text file and name the file anything you'd like, XXXX.css. In Safari's Advanced preference pane select it under the Style sheet menu. You can try tweaking it to your liking. I may have more code in it that is necessary but didn't care to test each entry.

Jan 16, 2019 4:38 PM in response to terridan

Here's what I've done on my iMac to make text easier to read:

In addition I've enabled zoom in this Preference pane

so that I can zoom the screen a bit by holding down the Option key and using the Magic Mouse's scroll feature.

With the retina screen it does make it difficult to read texts.

Have you tried to set you screens color profile or calibrate the screen to get better contrast?

Text is gray instead of black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.