Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare for MacBook air

Hi

im thinking of buying a MacBook Air for my daughter and was thinking of buying AppleCare too in case it breaks down after the 1 year warranty. Does the AppleCare + cover accidental damage like for example a drink spillage?

thanks

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 11:24 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 13, 2019 3:04 PM in response to Ash5896

Not really, but a $6 keyboard cover will protect from most spills

https://www.amazon.com/Mosiso-Keyboard-MacBook-without-Display/dp/B00HXZ34DU

Liquid damage to Mac computers and accessories not covered by warranty

Damage to Mac computers and accessories due to liquid exposure is not covered by the Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

Current

Mac notebook computers and Apple wired and wireless keyboards (except

Magic Keyboard) have Liquid Contact Indicators (LCI) to help determine

if these products have been exposed to liquid.

Jan 13, 2019 4:42 PM in response to Ruskes

you are referencing an article that covers the regular warranty. That does not apply to Applecare +.

Here is the link to Applecare+ repair copays

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

and here is an excerpt of the T&C of Applecare+ which I linked to earlier

ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact from spills) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device.

Jan 13, 2019 9:27 PM in response to Ash5896

Hi
im thinking of buying a MacBook Air for my daughter and was thinking of buying AppleCare too in case it breaks down after the 1 year warranty. Does the AppleCare + cover accidental damage like for example a drink spillage?
thanks

It is not a simple answer, Apple makes a difference in coverage in Apple Care Plus plans on Liquid damages

Using the 9 Liquid sensors installed in every macbook it will be determined:

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusmacus.html

1- Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact from spills) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device.

2- (x) The Plan does not apply to excessive or catastrophic damage to Covered Equipment caused by liquid contact ....

In simple terms, it will depend on the amount of the Liquid spilled, and if the sensors are triggered and which one.

Do not want you to get surprised, it is good to have the AC+ plan but you need to know what it covers and what not.

Jan 13, 2019 9:51 PM in response to babowa

Your Posts were not accurate so I took me a while to read the T&C and to report to the OP with what I found.

For example, you newer said there are circumstances where the Liquid damage is not covered and that is up to Apple's discretion as stated in the T&C link you posted.

One can not bluntly say the Liquid damages are covered.

I made the mistake by looking at the standard Apple Coverage and not the AC-Plus initially and thanks to your help was able to correct that.

Please also refere from personal comments and attacks in the future, lets stay professional here.

AppleCare for MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.