Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Corrosion

My Apple Watch has started to corrode on the back of the casing where the etched serial numbers are. Granted my watch exceeds warranty (7 months only) but after my appointment with Apple today I was informed that as the watch exceeded warranty I should be pleased as they are not made to last. Great when you spend $300 plus. Never has a Seiko or stainless steel watch corroded so either the anodised aluminium case is defective or not fit for purpose given a watch body only last for 2 1/2 years.

What to do now? Will Apple take ownership of this fault.

Happy to continue this discussion.

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 6:39 AM

I have the same problem. It most certainly is a quality issue. The anodised aluminium is the problem. Do we spend such an amount every two to three years? Apple should own the problem.

5 replies

Jan 14, 2019 1:34 AM in response to BrisVegas_Matt

Hey there!

Since this community is only made up of users and not Apple staff, we cannot tell whether Apple will take ownership for any fault here.

My brother has the aluminium back of his iPhone which has also eroded and Apple didn't seem to mention it was their fault. Since the Watch is out of warranty, I doubt there is anything Apple will be able to do except for offer you a replacement, however it would probably be cheaper buying a new Watch than to get a replacement.

I have had my Apple Watch series 3 for almost 2 years now and worn it in salt water and everything, and I am yet to see any form of corrosion any where on the aluminium body.

For future reference, refer to How to clean your Apple Watch - Apple Support for tips on properly cleaning the Apple watch to prevent corrosion.

Jan 14, 2019 7:21 AM in response to BrisVegas_Matt

Does the watch still function properly? Is the “erosion” on the back only? If so there’s really no reason to get rid of the watch as it’s cosmetic only. We see this sort of thing here on occasion. It’s entirely possible that this was caused in the manufacturing process, during the plating, but it’s also possible that the watch was accidentally exposed to a corrosive substance at some point. Some people (my wife for example) have high acidity in their skin. We just don’t know. Finally, if this were a common problem caused by the manufacturing process Apple almost always owns up to it and starts a repair/replacement program to deal with the issue. At this time there is no program for this particular problem that I am aware of.

And finally I really doubt an Apple employee told you the watch was not made to last.

Apple Watch Corrosion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.