Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone gets unresponsive with a black screen, then crashes

I received a replacement unit after Apple botched a battery service and did a restore from iCloud.

The new device crashes all the time, sometimes as often as every 15 minutes. Screen turns black, iPhone gets unresponsive for some time (longest was more than 30 minutes before I force rebooted it) then it reboots (or I force it to)

I already did the "Erase all Content and Settings" and "Restore from iCloud" dance, but to no avail.

My hunch is that is related to music playback (but not app specific) but maybe that's just when I notice it the most.

I never had this problem with my original phone and it renders this one pretty much useless.

I collected logs with Console.app right until before the crashes but I don't know enough to make heads or tails of them.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 7:21 AM

Hi notbuyingit,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some issues on a replaced iPhone.

It sounds like you've done some thorough troubleshooting already. To clarify one point, when you restored your iPhone, were you able to test it by setting it up as new before restoring the backup? This would be the best way to narrow down the issue to see if it might be caused by content from the backup. If you haven't done this already, give it a try to see if this makes a difference: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings.

If you've already tried this, or if you find the issue persists after, that's when I recommend that you get back in contact with Apple directly since this is a replaced phone: Contact Apple Support.

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 7:21 AM in response to notbuyingit

Hi notbuyingit,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some issues on a replaced iPhone.

It sounds like you've done some thorough troubleshooting already. To clarify one point, when you restored your iPhone, were you able to test it by setting it up as new before restoring the backup? This would be the best way to narrow down the issue to see if it might be caused by content from the backup. If you haven't done this already, give it a try to see if this makes a difference: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings.

If you've already tried this, or if you find the issue persists after, that's when I recommend that you get back in contact with Apple directly since this is a replaced phone: Contact Apple Support.

Cheers.

Jan 24, 2019 5:15 AM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

Thank you for your reply. I did not set up the phone as new yet and I can try that of course, too.

However, the phone is now exhibiting behaviour that make me think it is a hardware problem. Now the screen will look "garbled" right before it hangs and crashes. This will persist with the boot screen and the phone will enter a reboot loop until force reset via home button + power button press.

I did not manage to take a picture before it crashes but I took a picture of the garbled boot screen:

1. Can such a problem be caused by a faulty iCloud restore? This looks exactly like when my Macbook's graphic card died. It is however my second replacement phone that is experiencing the issue and they were both restored from iCloud.
  2. Would an iTunes backup have the same problems as an iCloud backup? There are countless apps and personal data on the phone. Getting it up and running after setting it up as new would be a major headache.

Thank you

Jan 24, 2019 7:45 AM in response to notbuyingit

Hi notbuyingit,

Thanks for the follow-up.

The best way to know if this might be related to an iCloud backup is to try the steps above to set it up as new. You'd only need to do this temporarily; once you set the iPhone up as new and test it out to see if the issue persists, you can restore your data from a backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup.

If the issue persists when you set the iPhone up as new, or after you restore your data from the backup after testing, that's when you'll want to get in touch with Apple: Contact Apple Support.

Take care.

iPhone gets unresponsive with a black screen, then crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.