Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone XR and the Black Screen of Death

While listening to music last night, the screen of my iPhone XR suddenly became completely black and unresponsive. Puzzled, I attempted to force a restart - however, I used the older button combination (holding volume down and the power button) and began to hear the siren for the emergency SOS service, confirming sound and vibration were still functioning. I plugged it in and attempted the correct force restart (volume up press then volume down press then holding the power button) multiple times with no restart. I left it sitting unplugged over night and when trying to see if charging from empty would fix the issue, it persists. Is there a way to fix this without device repair or is that my only recourse?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on May 4, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 10:11 AM

Are you sure you performed the correct gestures to force restart your iPhone?:

• Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
  • Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
  • Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo, keeping in mind that you might need to hold that power button fo 20-30 seconds. Only when the Apple logo appears, you can release that button.

If you still get no response from your iPhone, it could have a hardware/battery failure.

Contact Apple support and see if they can be more helpful:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 10:11 AM in response to handheldvoid

Are you sure you performed the correct gestures to force restart your iPhone?:

• Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
  • Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
  • Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo, keeping in mind that you might need to hold that power button fo 20-30 seconds. Only when the Apple logo appears, you can release that button.

If you still get no response from your iPhone, it could have a hardware/battery failure.

Contact Apple support and see if they can be more helpful:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

The iPhone XR and the Black Screen of Death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.