Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Late 2013 and 4k issues

Hi,

So I have the older Mac Pro 12 core with 32gigs of ram and the two Firepro d700 graphics cards. I just bought a 4k monitor and can't for life of me get it to work. I have it plugged into the HDMI port on both the Mac and the monitor with nothing plugged into the other Thuderbolt ports. Yet when the computer comes up the only resolutions available are 5120x1440 (low resolution) or 1920x1080 and 1080p and 1080i. If I select either the native resolution or 5120x1440 option the image is horrible. The only resolution setting that works is the 1920x1080, however, since it is a large monitor everything is huge. After looking on the internet it seems that my Mac Pro should be able to output 4k so I'm not sure why it isn't working. I've tried 4 different HDMI high speed 18gbs cables as well as plugging it into one of the Thuderbolt slots. I even downgraded the OS to Yosemite which then at least fills the screen but it's still at a odd resolution. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 1:15 PM

Try the Display Menu app from the Mac App Store. I had similar troublr with my 2013 MP and that resolved it.

HIgh Speed HDMI cable is not rated for 4K and that might be part of your problem.

No reason for the $35 Apple-sold mini displayport>Hdmi adapter. This $17 adopter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

worked fine for my 2013 MP together with an HDMI 2.0 cable got me 4K260Hz. I got a new monitor with two HDMI and one displayport input and my PC used the displayport

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2019 1:15 PM in response to Canes2

Try the Display Menu app from the Mac App Store. I had similar troublr with my 2013 MP and that resolved it.

HIgh Speed HDMI cable is not rated for 4K and that might be part of your problem.

No reason for the $35 Apple-sold mini displayport>Hdmi adapter. This $17 adopter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

worked fine for my 2013 MP together with an HDMI 2.0 cable got me 4K260Hz. I got a new monitor with two HDMI and one displayport input and my PC used the displayport

Jan 14, 2019 12:06 PM in response to Canes2

The HDMI port is too old to support top resolutions.

If possible, use DisplayPort derived from a Thunderbolt port (which is vastly superior to HDMI), or an adapter to HDMI 2.0 or higher if necessary. Make sure the adapter is rated for "4K" or use the Moshi adapter from the Apple online store.

Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (4K) - Apple

Jan 15, 2019 6:58 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you so much for your input. The Display Menu App did the trick as far as the images on the display filling the screen with no distortion. I still have to get the converter or a mini display to full display port cable to see if I can get close to full 4k.

Again, I can't thank you enough for helping through this issue. Take care.

Paul

Mac Pro Late 2013 and 4k issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.