Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k dual monitors issue on New Mac Pro (desk top)

Hi Folks. I have just received a new Mac Pro. I am trying to run the Benq 27 and the BenQ24 as dual monitors using the HDMI ports on the back of the system. The second monitor (24) is pixelated, blurry and certainly not 4k standard. Is there an easy fix for this that I am missing?

I have tried alternative cables of all types.

This is very frustrating for such a hyped system.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jo.

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 8:01 AM

Hello Jo. You need a usb-c to DisplayPort cable. you can connect it to any of the usb-c ports [top or rear of the Mac Pro] and then to your monitor. Here is a support link https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210228 be sure to look at the thunderbolt 3 adaptors in the blue hyper text. I would stay away from the hdmi cable it only supports 30hz refresh rate , the use-c to DisplayPort cable supports 60hz refresh rate. I hope this helps. It is a bit confusing. good luck.

Rick

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Jo.Han

Hello Jo. You need a usb-c to DisplayPort cable. you can connect it to any of the usb-c ports [top or rear of the Mac Pro] and then to your monitor. Here is a support link https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210228 be sure to look at the thunderbolt 3 adaptors in the blue hyper text. I would stay away from the hdmi cable it only supports 30hz refresh rate , the use-c to DisplayPort cable supports 60hz refresh rate. I hope this helps. It is a bit confusing. good luck.

Rick

Jan 29, 2020 5:22 AM in response to Jo.Han

Hi all,

So I have connected the Mac Pro (desk top) to the second monitor now with a USB-C to mini display cable but still no joy!

It is refreshing at 59.88Hertz which I can not change. Any other suggestions or do I carry on, as I have before, with a below standard system. Its becoming par for the course with the MacPro's.

Jo.

Jan 25, 2020 9:24 AM in response to rwb53

Rwb53

this is very helpful and ironically pretty much the only cable I don’t have and haven’t tried. I have one on order and will Cris’s my fingers it works.

the mind boggles as to why Apple even bother with the hdmi ports. Two extra lightning ports would have been more helpful.

thanks for your help.

jo

Jan 29, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Jo.Han

Your Mac sets parameters such as required refresh rates from the response to a query to the display itself. The display answers with its name (which is why the box has the display-name, which you never typed) and the display capabilities.

I doubt the problem with the blurring along the right edge is due to the tiny difference between 60.00 and 59.88 Hz.

DisplayPort family sends only the changed data, and when the screen stops changing, the link goes quiet (i.e., there is essentially NO refresh). The actual refresh on the screen comes from the display's Internal screen buffer. This suggests that there may be some problems with the "On-screen display" parameters set in the screen itself. Perhaps some internal settings were changed to accommodate the previous 30Hz refresh.

It should not have any impact on the issues you raise, but you may be able to get access to additional resolutions or refresh rates by holding the Option key while clicking on the Resolutions box in Displays Preferences.

4k dual monitors issue on New Mac Pro (desk top)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.